1100 Knight Hall
The National Association of Black Journalists (NABJ) is the largest membership organization of journalists of color in the nation. Since our founding over 40 years ago, NABJ strengthens the field of journalism and media through our programming, partnerships, career and professional development, and advocacy efforts.
Our membership includes entry-level to mid-career to veteran journalists, students, educators and media-related professionals. Domestically and globally, this is a critical moment within the journalism and media landscape, and to be a part of advancing NABJ’s core mission toward inclusion, diversity and equity in traditional newsrooms and in new media. This is an exciting time to be part of NABJ’s mission and our role in the greater field of journalism and media.
NABJ seeks a Programs Coordinator (“PC”) who has had hands-on convention and career fair, and event planning experience. The candidate must have experience in event planning, and also have excellent organizing, and verbal and written communication skills.
Key Responsibilities of the Program Coordinator
- Assist with the management of all logistical aspects of our annual convention and career fair, and events, including securing group lodging, reserving meeting room space and coordinating meetings.
- Review and approve proposals/banquet event orders for food and beverage and audio-visual with the host hotel or venue.
- Correspond with the convention and event vendors.
- Manage event food and beverage requirements.
- Coordinate travel for convention and events that occur throughout the year.
- Coordinate with committee chairs for award and student project activities.
- Prepare agendas and other materials for meetings.
- Assist in the planning and managing of regional conferences and convening’s throughout the year.
- Receive, review and reply to all host hotel or venue correspondence.
- Assist with coordinating all charters services, tours, dinners, fieldtrips or other group activities or off-site events.
- Travel to convention or meeting cities for on-site planning.
- Work with the convention and program chair in selection and placement of convention workshops and other events.
- Assist in the production of the convention program book and mobile app.
- Work with the exhibit decorator and host hotel to create convention signage.
- Assist with creating and maintaining a convention requirements tracking document.
- A minimum of three years of experience in convention planning and events management
- A Bachelor’s degree or a strong and proven track record of experience in events planning and management.
- Must have excellent organizing and computer skills, including Microsoft Word, Excel and Power Point.
- Must have exceptional writing, verbal, editing and researching skills
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please forward your resume and a cover letter to Ms. Jovan Riley at email@example.com, by Monday, March 19, 2018.
In the subject line, please include “NABJ Programs Coordinator Position.”
NABJ is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage, value and celebrate inclusion and diversity in all sectors of the workplace.