Social Worker (MSW/LMSW/LCSW ) Overnight Shelter Coordinator (Wed/Fri) Part-Time
- Job posted by Trinity Place Shelter
Details: $1300 annual salary
164 West 100th Street
Job Description: SUMMARY
Social Worker (BSW/MSW/LMSW/LCSW) & Leader Needed for Overnight Shelter Coordinator Position (Part-Time Sleeping Overnight Position-Wed & Fri).
Introduction: A small, grassroots nonprofit, Trinity Place Shelter, a 10-bed transitional shelter for homeless LGBTQ youth/young adults (ages 18-24) (www.trinityplaceshelter.org) is now looking for a highly-driven, energized, flexible and talented BA/BS/MSW/LMSW/LCSW with at least 1-3 years relevant work experience and strong interests in LGBTQ issues and familiarity with LGBTQ affirmative practice skills.
Brief Position Description: (Overnight Shelter Coordinator (OSC)): Excellent clinical, case management, leadership, programming, interpersonal and teamwork skills are all necessary. A self-starter with strong interests in LGBTQ issues and the ability to work independently and effectively within a small, fast-paced team are all essential. Very manageable, 2 night a week Wednesday & Friday overnight position where SLEEPING IS PERMITTED! We have a well-appointed, comfortable private bedroom on-site for this purpose.Outstanding opportunities to creatively shape many aspects of the program. Work alongside a dynamic team of highly experienced professionals. Detailed job description, position responsibilities and requirements are below.
Required Schedule & Additional Notes: The schedule for this sleeping overnight position is Wednesday evening from 8:00 p.m. to Thursday morning,8:15 a.m. and Friday evening from 8:00 p.m. to Saturday morning,10:15 a.m. This position also requires attendance at our weekly Staff and House meetings on Tuesday evenings from 7:30 p.m.-10:00p.m.
Trinity Place is a non-sectarian, non-profit organization however the shelter is housed within a small, progressive, socially conscious church, Trinity Lutheran Church of Manhattan (http://www.trinitylutherannyc.org/). The willingness and abilities to work very closely and collaboratively with this small, fast-paced church is essential. Trinity Place is located in Manhattan (Upper West Side). Interviews for this position will likely occur during evening/weekend hours. LGBTQ identifying persons, persons of color, bi/multilingual speaking individuals are encouraged to apply.
Interested parties should e-mail cover letter and résumé to Assistant Director, Wendy Kaplan, at email@example.com
Job Description: DETAILED
POSITION: Overnight Shelter Coordinator (OSC)
POSITION OVERVIEW: Under the supervision of the assistant director, director and executive director, the Overnight Shelter Coordinator (OSC) is a key position in which one is expected to fulfill a wide array of clinical, case management and various programmatic responsibilities while providing onsite supervision and management of the shelter milieu.
REPORTS TO: Assistant Director, Director and Executive Director
KEY ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- “Open” and “close” the shelter on assigned days
- Ensure the safety of all shelter participants while at shelter
- Supervise shelter resident adherence to curfew, program rules/regulations and complete corresponding weekly Metrocard point sheet while carrying out behavioral interventions as needed
- Supervise shelter members’ behavior and participation in adult daily living skills and other therapeutic, psycho-educational, recreational and holiday-related activities and provide ongoing feedback on both positive and negative behavior
- Assign and monitor completion of chores on a daily basis
- Serve as the primary shelter staff clinical contact for at least 2 residents, which includes provision of case management, counseling and tracking of progress toward goals
- Collaborate with other shelter staff to ensure existing case management remains effective
- Ensure all shelter documentation is completed thoroughly, accurately, in a timely manner and that all records comply with regulatory requirements and internal procedures and protocols (i.e. records of shelter attendance, daily shelter log, daily chore chart, Metrocard point log, participant progress notes, etc.)
- Attend weekly staff and house meetings
- Maintain adequate supplies (food, linens, toiletries, etc.) or alert shelter administration when other supplies are low
- Attend regularly scheduled meetings with representatives from shelter administration
- Assist in the oversight of and cleanliness maintenance of space utilized by the shelter especially the kitchen, shelter storage room and shelter office
- Maintain close, collegial relationships with all referring agencies and collaborative partners (Ali Forney, Green Chimneys, Streetworks, Sylvia’s Place, Covenant House, The Door, Harlem United, Project STAY, etc.)
- Maintain consistent, open communication by keeping supervisors, shelter monitor and relevant collaborative partners informed of all relevant information regarding the program and the shelter members’ as needed
- Work closely with Trinity Lutheran Church of Manhattan (which houses the shelter) to ensure a smooth space-sharing partnership and an overall close collaborative relationship
- Adhere to all HIPAA privacy, client confidentiality standards and security regulations
- Adhere to general social work standards and ethical principles, program procedures, and maintains professional relationships with all collaborative partners, clients, and community supports
ADDITIONAL ASSIGNED KEY ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS INCLUDE:
- Ensure cleanliness and organization of resident storage room by monitoring a weekly cleanout of the room by residents
- Manage shelter donations by responding to offers, evaluating need of donated items, organizing delivery and facilitating storage/neatly putting away such donated items
- Perform other task and responsibilities as appropriate and required
- Bachelor or Master degree in social work, psychology, education, sociology or closely related field
- Additional relevant experience/training also required
EXPERIENCE REQUIRED/LANGUAGE PREFERENCE:
- Minimum of 2 years supervised relevant work experience in community-based social services agencies (internship/field placement experience may be considered)
- Strong knowledge and understanding of LGBTQ homeless youth and young adults in NYC and general knowledge of available housing resources
- Excellent ability to work with a diverse, high needs client population
- Strong leadership skills
- Proven track record of ability to work independently
- Strong crisis management skills and familiarity with de-escalation techniques
- Excellent interpersonal, time management skills and ability to meet strict deadlines within a fast-paced environment are required
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- The ability to effectively and flexibly work as a member of an interdisciplinary team and maintain multiple close collaborative relationships with partnering institutions is required
- Moderate understanding of mental health and substance abuse issues
- Basic knowledge and understanding of DSM-IV-TR
- Bilingual in Spanish a plus
COMPUTER SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Moderate typing skills and computer skills
- Specific knowledge of Gmail, Google Groups, Google Calendar, Windows, Excel, Power Point and Outlook programs
VISUAL AND MANUAL DEXTERITY:
- The candidate should be able to read documents for analytical purposes such as computer information, software, computer graphic design programs, etc.
- Limited applications of manual dexterity and hand-eye coordination.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL EFFORT:
- The work environment involves no physical risk or hazardous conditions
This position offers 2 weeks paid vacation and one week paid sick time per year. Unfortunately, this part-time position does NOT include health insurance or other benefits.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested parties should e-mail cover letter and résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org