This is a full-time position preferably in Oakland (but open to Los Angeles and Sacramento).
Job Title: Events Manager
Californians for Safety and Justice (CSJ), a project of the Tides Center, is a statewide nonprofit advocacy organization that aims to replace over-incarceration and prison waste with new safety priorities rooted in prevention and health. The organization is five years old with a strong track record achieving local and state policy change; advancing best practices in criminal justice; building coalitions with diverse stakeholders; engaging in high-impact communications; and elevating the voices of diverse crime survivors in the debate on public safety policy.
CSJ is hiring a full-time Events Manager to join a fast-paced team working to reform state criminal justice policy and transform the dialogue on crime, safety, and incarceration. CSJ has offices and team members based in Oakland, Los Angeles and Sacramento. Our events, held all over the state, are a vital tool for movement and coalition building, public education, and our advocacy campaigns. The Events Manager will lead the project management for the organization’s events, conferences, retreats, and small to mid size meetings. CSJ averages about 1 event and 1-2 meetings a month.
This position is for someone who thrives in a fast-paced environment; is a clear and direct communicator; is a problem solver; is a stickler for timelines and deadlines; and lives for getting things done in the most efficient way possible.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Serve as the lead for event planning and management of large scale events, coalition meetings, fundraising events, staff retreats, and other small to mid-size gatherings.
- Create and manage the timeline with milestones, run of show and task list for all CSJ-hosted events
- Lead all event planning and production meetings and discussions.
- Organize and lead collaboration with program and/or department on event goals, graphic design/production/printing, logistics, and event marketing.
- Negotiate contracts, costs, and services with vendors; book event space, arrange food and beverage, order all supplies/decorations, and coordinate audiovisual equipment & operation.
- Coordinate the logistics for shipping supplies and staff travel to the event location.
- Work with Operations Department to manage staff and volunteers working at the event.
- Work with venue to create/revise room layouts/seating arrangements for each event as necessary.
- Manage on-site production
- Organize and manage the invitation, registration and attendee check-in processes.
- Manage the follow-up with vendors, sponsors and staff members following each event.
- Assist with preparing budgets and provide periodic progress reports to staff directors for each event.
- Keep track of event finances including check requests, invoicing, and reporting.
- Research venue options, coordinate appointments and visits to see venue space, and schedule events on the events calendar.
- Prepare and modify event contracts as requested.
- 5+ years prior experience managing events. Experience working in a nonprofit organization a plus.
- Self-starter who is flexible, creative, able to work under pressure, and be able to work quickly and cooperatively on several efforts at one time
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Commitment to social justice and the mission of the organization
- Excellent computer skills - Word, Excel, PowerPoint, event management apps, Internet research and email savvy.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Well-organized and a strong attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Goal-driven and results-oriented individual
- Experience with office administration.
- Superior time management skills, multi-tasking abilities, team playing skills.
- Budget management and negotiation skills.
- Experience with hiring and managing vendors for event production.
Health, dental, vision, life, retirement. paid sick, vacation, and holidays.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.