Details: Competitive salary commensurate with experience and excellent benefits package.
31 Green Street, Room 310
Launched in Spring 2011, Newark Community Solutions is a community justice initiative that applies a problem-solving approach to low-level cases in Newark, New Jersey’s municipal courthouse. Newark Community Solutions’ goals are twofold: to provide judges with increased sentencing options for non-violent offenses such as drug possession, prostitution, and shoplifting and to improve public perceptions of justice. By combining punishment with help, Newark Community Solutions seeks to promote the use of community service and social service mandates, reduce the court’s reliance on ineffective fines and expensive short-term jail sentences, and build public confidence in justice. A project of the National Center for Civic Innovation, Newark Community Solutions builds on lessons learned from successful community courts throughout the country, which have reduced local crime, improved compliance with sanctions, and strengthened the connections between courts and communities.
The Newark Youth Court is a collaboration of the City of Newark and Newark Community Solutions. The program’s mission, grounded in the principles of restorative justice, is to train teenagers to serve as judge, jury and advocates for cases involving their peers. The Newark Youth Court seeks a Case Developer to provide administrative support, meet with young people and families before and after court hearings, assist with community service projects for youth, and provide overall supervision and support for youth court members.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
· Coordinate communication with parents and youth who are referred to the Newark Youth Court including phone calls, outreach letters, hearing confirmation and completion letters;
· Assist in conducting outreach to youth and families in local schools, youth programs and in the neighborhood at large;
· Assist in the pre-hearing intake process with respondents and families;
· Maintain Youth Court data tracking sheets;
· Coordinate with community service sites and sanction providers to ensure a high compliance rate;
· Provide direct supervision of Newark Youth Court members -including at the courthouse and on community service sites - and maintain detailed records of member participation;
· Assist with recruitment, and preparation of youth court training sessions;
· Facilitate portions of the youth court member pre-service training;
· Facilitate respondent skill building workshops;
· Assist with the planning and coordination of special events and programs.
Qualifications: The ideal candidate will have a Bachelor’s degree, a minimum of 1-2 years working with youth (10-18), and at least one year of experience in direct services working with clients in low income, urban environments. The candidate must be a creative, assertive, self-starter who can get meet deadlines in a high-paced, collaborative environment. Excellent written skills are a must. Candidate must be skilled communicator able to work in multi-disciplinary setting, and maintain strong relationships with multiple agencies and organizations both onsite and in the community. Bilingual (English-Spanish) a plus. The candidate must also be willing to work evenings and some weekends.
Level of Language Proficiency
Bilingual (English-Spanish) a plus.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
How to apply: Send cover letter and resume to:
Attn / Subject line: Case Manager
Jasmine Harden, Newark Youth Court Coordinator
Newark Community Solutions
31 Green Street, Room 310
Newark, NJ 07102
Note: In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete an employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. Only applicants under consideration will be contacted. No phone calls please.