Full Time Contract
The Coalition for the International Criminal Court (CICC; www.coalitionfortheicc.org), the international justice program of the World Federalist Movement-Institute for Global Policy (WFM-IGP), is recruiting a Legal Associate for its international secretariat in The Hague, The Netherlands.
About The Coalition for the International Criminal Court (CICC)
The Coalition includes 2,500 civil society organizations in 150 different countries working in partnership to strengthen international cooperation with the International Criminal Court (ICC); ensure that the Court is fair, effective and independent; make justice both visible and universal; and advance stronger national laws that deliver justice to victims of war crimes, crimes against humanity and genocide. The ICC is the only permanent Court with the mandate to bring to justice individuals who commit the most serious violations of international humanitarian law, namely genocide, crimes against humanity and war crimes. For further information about the Coalition, visit our website at www.coalitionfortheicc.org.
About The World Federalist Movement- Institute for Global Policy (WFM-IGP)
WFM-IGP works to advance the global promise of peace and is committed to building a safer and more just world. The organization includes a comprehensive set of programs that work to protect civilians from the threat of genocide, war crimes and crimes against humanity; facilitate transparency in governance; increase access to justice; and promote the application of the rule of law. WFM-IGP works in partnership with the United Nations and often serves as a hub of information and collective action on UN-related issues. In addition, we work with governments, and other international and regional institutions around the globe – as well as with thousands of committed individuals and world leaders – to advance a mission of peace, prosperity, and security for all.
WFM-IGP is co-located in The Hague, the Netherlands and New York, USA and has ECOSOC consultative status with the United Nations. WFM-IGP currently oversees the following programs: the Coalition for the International Criminal Court (CICC), the International Coalition for the Responsibility to Protect, and the International Democratic Governance program, amongst others. For more information about WFM-IGP, please visit our website: www.wfm-igp.org.
The Coalition for the International Criminal Court seeks a Legal Associate for its international secretariat in The Hague. The Legal Associate provides general legal support and coordination for Coalition programs through legal research and analysis of issues related to international criminal law, international humanitarian law, public international law, and comparative law, and provides coordination and advice on legal and institutional issues relating to the functioning of the ICC. This position is directly supervised by the Director of Programs/Head of The Hague Office, under the overall direction of the CICC Convener and the Deputy Executive Director and in close coordination with other Coalition staff.
The responsibilities of the Legal Associate include but are not limited to:
- Monitoring all ICC relevant developments and provide legal analysis to Coalition staff and members in relation to these developments;
- Monitoring the work of the Assembly of States Parties (ASP) and the work of the ASP Bureau’s The Hague Working Group;
- Providing research and substantive support to ensure that Coalition campaigns are well-informed;
- Assisting in the development of advocacy strategies, information-sharing, and consultations with Coalition members, including reporting on developments and organizing consultations with NGOs, briefings for states representatives, and meetings with Court officials;
- Assisting with preparations for the annual session of the Assembly of States Parties to the International Criminal Court;
- Contributing to CICC publications, blog and website
- Other legal, administrative and coordinating duties as assigned.
- Responding to information requests, including requests received through general CICC email address;
- Attending, reporting, and assisting with meetings and events related to the CICC’s work. • Assisting with other WFM-IGP programs.
- Other tasks as needed.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Degree in law, preferably in Public International Law or similar;
- Relevant full-time professional experience (1-3 years);
- Knowledge of, and support for, the Rome Statute system and understanding of International Criminal Law;
- Strong analytical skills and ability to conduct comprehensive legal research;
- Affinity with the Coalition’s mandate and objectives;
- Fluency in English required; French in addition seen as an asset;
- Pro-active attitude, attention to detail and ability to work independently while managing multiple projects simultaneously;
- Ability to work under time pressure and urgent deadlines.
- Resourceful and proactive.
- Effective team player with the ability to work in a multicultural environment.
- Full-time contract for 1 year, renewable;
- Salary commensurate with experience;
- Opportunity to work in an enthusiastic, small and young international team, part of a large international secretariat and a global network;
- Opportunity to learn about the role of non-governmental organizations (NGOs) in relation to the ICC, the work of international NGOs as well as local NGOs based in all regions of the world, and the functioning of an international coalition.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please apply by 15 April by sending a cover letter and CV by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject header, “[First and last name] - Legal Associate – The Hague”. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis; therefore it is advised to send in applications early. Short-listed candidates will be invited for a telephone/Skype interview. Due to the great number of applications, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
NO phone inquiries please.
The WFM-IGP is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer strong