5020 Santa Monica Blvd.
<img src="//:0" height="90" width="208">
Position Title: Controller
Classification: Fulltime, Exempt
Supervisor: Executive Director
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities or requirements of this position. Employees are expected to perform other duties and functions as assigned or requested to further support the organization’s mission.
Under the direction of the Executive Director, the Controller is responsible for managing the accounting operations of Hollywood Community Housing Corporation (HCHC) and its affiliated entities including limited partnerships and single entity corporations. The Controller is also responsible for ensuring that HCHC has policies and procedures that adhere to best practices and ensure that there are proper checks and balances to prevent and/or detect fraud. Finally, the Controller provides staff support for two Committees of the Board of Directors including the Audit Committee and the Operations & Finance Committee.
Essential Position Responsibilities
- Maintain financial books and records in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Evaluate, design, implement, and monitor internal financial controls for efficiency, cost effectiveness, accuracy and fraud prevention.
- Responsible for all day-to-day financial activities including accounts payable, accounts receivable, financial statements, cash flow projections, budgeting, monthly close, general ledger, cost allocation, payroll, audits and tax returns.
- Provide leadership and management consistent with organization mission and values.
- Analyze financial data and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner.
- Clearly communicate monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements in regular reports to the Executive Director, Committees of the Board and to the full Board of Directors.
- Work with the Executive Director on the annual budgeting and planning process; produce budget vs. actual variance reports with a goal to identify, explain, and correct variances as appropriate.
· Monitor cash balances and cash forecasts. Prepare monthly agency cash flow projections.
- Oversee all financial, project/program and grants accounting; ensure that expenditures are consistently aligned with grant and program budgets throughout the grant/fund period; collate financial reporting materials for government, corporate, and foundation grants, working in concert with Contracts Manager.
· Coordinate activities of annual audits and serve as the main point of contact with auditors. Ensure that audits and tax returns are completed in accordance with deadlines imposed by financing partners and government agencies.
- Assist with year-end tax compliance, work with the CPA firm to prepare all federal income tax returns and all legal and corporate filings for HCHC and affiliated entities.
- Coordinate and oversee construction management accounting practices. Monitor operating and constructions accounts for development projects and review the monthly account reconciliation and analysis. Coordinate and oversee monthly draw preparation process. Work with housing development staff to complete cost certifications.
· Select appropriate technology for the accounting department and ensure that the accounting team is property trained.
Human Resource Responsibilities
· Monitor payroll including payroll taxes. Process payroll twice per month.
· Ensure that payroll cost allocations are accurate. Verify that the costs of benefits (medical, dental, vision, 403(b) retirement, life insurance, etc.) are billed correctly and accurately reflected in the payroll system.
· Assist with on-boarding and off-boarding of employees.
· Hire, train, retain, supervise and conduct performance evaluations for staff in the accounting department. Guide the professional development of accounting team members.
· Identify and evaluate the services and pricing offered by vendors and independent contractors (IC).
· Negotiate with and select vendors and ICs and oversee their performance and work product.
· Actively participate as a member of the senior management team to oversee and implement strategies to meet the Company’s short- and long-term objectives.
· Assist with other projects and duties as needed.
Education and Experience
Requires a Bachelor’s degree with ten years of related experience. An advanced degree, such as a Master’s degree in a related field, is strongly preferred but substantial related experience is an acceptable substitute. Experience within a real estate industry and or property management company is preferred.
· Strong understanding of real estate acquisitions, construction management, accounting practices and property management functions.
· Leadership skills to motivate staff to achieve top performance and to implement changes.
· Ability to quickly obtain and maintain a thorough understanding of the various financial reporting and general ledger structures.
· Demonstrate leadership, teamwork and professionalism with a positive attitude.
· Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to manage staff and vendors.
· Real Page/On-site software experience highly preferred
· Proficient in accounting software and the Microsoft suite of software programs.
This position requires daily use of office equipment. May need to lift up to 20 pounds.
The essential responsibilities of this position are performed in a busy indoor environment in the main office, at properties owned by HCHC and at other offices and housing developments throughout Los Angeles County. The employee must be able to stay focused in an environment with interruptions and distractions. Other responsibilities, such as special events, may require work to be completed outdoors.
Periodic travel within Los Angeles County for meetings and trainings. Infrequent travel outside of Los Angeles County by car or airplane for trainings, meetings and conferences. Must have and maintain a valid California driver’s license and insurance as required by law.
Health, dental, and life insurance. Optional vision.
Minimum Education Required