91 Larkspur Street
Canal Alliance seeks a full-time bilingual Immigration Paralegal or DOJ Accredited Representative to join its Immigration Legal Services Team. Canal Alliance is the leading service provider and community advocate for Marin’s low-income, Spanish speaking immigrants. The bilingual Immigration Paralegal works closely with and reports to the Managing Attorney.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
· Client communication: conduct client intake and screening; monitor voicemail messages and return client calls or forward calls to appropriate staff; confirm client appointments; keep accurate notes of client communications in client database.
· Filing and data entry: keep file room in order; input information about received mail into client database; file incoming mail in client files;
· Case Preparation: prepare forms, letters, and applications to obtain work permits, legal permanent residence, and other USCIS humanitarian programs under the supervision of the Managing Attorney.
· Translate documents from Spanish to English and from English to Spanish.
· Interpret (Spanish/English) for clients at interviews with United States Citizenship and Immigration Services
· Attend Canal Alliance staff meetings and ILS departmental meetings.
· Other tasks assigned by the Director of Immigration Legal Services.
Knowledge, skills and abilities
· Knowledge and Experience with Family Based Immigration; DACA; TPS; U Visas; VAWA and SIJS.
· Previous DOJ accreditation preferred but not required. Candidate must be willing to seek accreditation within 3 months after starting employment with Canal Alliance.
· Must be organized, detail oriented, responsive and have excellent follow through skills.
· Must be able to multi-task and work independently.
· Analytical and problem-solving skills.
· Ability to work well under pressure and work effectively and with clients, attorneys and staff.
· Strong knowledge of Microsoft applications including Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
· Strong commitment to Canal Alliance’s mission.
Education and Experience
· Bachelor's degree with a focus on legal studies or humanities.
· Minimum of 1 years of experience working in Immigration Law
· Bilingual/bicultural - Spanish and English
· Experience working with low-income immigrants
· Experience working with Salesforce and/or LawLogix preferred
This is a full-time position with benefits. We offer a competitive salary with a benefits package that includes 3 weeks paid vacation a year, 12 days of sick leave a year and 100% paid employee medical & dental insurance. In addition, there are 12 paid holidays annually, a 403(b) retirement plan and a Flex cafeteria plan.
Canal Alliance actively promotes and recognizes principles of fairness, equity, and social justice in relation to, and across, intersections of race, age, color, national origin, ethnicity, citizenship, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, disability, ancestry and all other identities.
To apply, please reply to email@example.com with your resume and cover letter. Only electronic applications will be accepted (keep it green!). Please put "Immigration Paralegal -- YOUR NAME" in the subject line of your email.
Level of Language Proficiency
English and Spanish
Minimum Education Required