111 E. Wacker Dr
Service Employees International Union, Local 1
SUMMARY & JOB DESCRIPTION
SEIU Local 1 is growing its dynamic and energetic team and is seeking a Communications Specialist who will be responsible for traditional and digital communications in both Chicago and Ohio. Our Local is looking for experienced and dedicated individuals who are self-motivated, deadline-oriented and possess a willingness and desire to learn new skills as well as work with members.
The goal of the Communications Specialist position is to develop and implement strategic and creative communication plans for various exciting campaigns. This individual should also be an excellent writer who is well-versed in social and traditional media.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
· Write and edit regular member communication materials (i.e. event flyers, email and text message updates, newsletters, phone call scripts, postcards, etc.);
· Help develop and deliver a consistent message for various audiences including current members, workers uniting to form a union, the general public, media, elected officials, and other allies;
· Write talking points, letters to the editor, op-eds, background pieces, fact sheets, press kit materials, leaflets, newsletters and other materials;
· Develop and execute online to offline mobilization strategies (i.e. letter-writing campaigns, online member drives, etc.);
· Plan and manage event communications – strategy, message, visuals, materials, media outreach, video, photography, social media;
· Perform other duties as required to support the department;
· Travel is required.
· B.A. or B.S. in Communications, Public Relations, English, Journalism or related field;
· 5 years of related work experience or a combination of education and experience;
· Exceptional writing skills as well as excellent verbal and interpersonal skills;
· Four or more years in campaign communications, labor communications, media relations, public affairs, community organizing, or other related experience;
· Experience developing or helping to develop and implement creative communications strategy;
· Experience seeking and creating opportunities to deliver messages in the media;
· Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator), as well as all social media platforms;
· Experience with video editing;
· Ability to frame issues for specific audiences and develop effective advocacy materials;
· Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and meet established deadlines;
· Ability to work as an effective team member;
· Demonstrated commitment to social and economic justice;
· Fluency in Spanish or Polish is a plus.
SALARY & BENEFITS
· Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience;
· Full benefits package including health insurance, a pension plan and available 401-K;
· Car and phone allowance; Moving expenses available.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply: submit a cover letter, resume and three writing samples at http://seiu1.applicantstack.com/x/detail/a2kqigc4f8mu