Per Diem Educators is sought for delivering in-person (at Museum) programs, virtual programs and off-site programs that make use of the Museum’s collection to engage students, families, adults and seniors, including individuals with cognitive, sensory, physical, emotional and behavioral disabilities. This person will work with teams across the education department who oversee school & teacher programs, access programs, out of school time programs, teen programs, adult, and community engagement & family programs. Hours are varied, so a flexible schedule is a must. Programs can include:
• Off-site after school and community-based programs occurring across all five boroughs of New York City.
• Program delivery for general education, inclusion, ICT and self-contained special education classes primarily takes place between the hours of 10:00am and 1:00pm, weekdays. These programs are delivered both on-site and virtually.
• Delivery of many access programs, family programs and special events such as sleepovers and scouting events occurring primarily on Saturdays and Sundays.
$20 per hour. Maximum of 20 hours per week.
This position is subject to seasonal changes in volume of classes and programs delivered.
• Bachelor's degree in education, science, history, museum studies or a related field. Master's studies and/or teacher certification a plus, especially in special education.
• Two years related experience and sensitivity working with varied populations in an educational setting.
• Understanding of object- and inquiry-based teaching practices.
• Comfortable teaching interdisciplinary history and science programs to varied audiences.
• Experience differentiating lessons to meet specific academic and social-emotional learning goals.
• Knowledge of best practices for English Language Learners and disability specific instructional strategies a plus.
• NYC Department of Education fingerprinting a plus.
• Multi-lingual or bi-lingual a plus.
A successful candidate:
• Must be able to teach large multi-generational groups in a variety of settings.
• Be able to think and make informed decisions quickly and under pressure.
• Have excellent communication and organizational abilities.
• Be able to work collaboratively and flexibly with colleagues and off-site partners possessing a variety of skills, trainings and experiences.
• Be available and willing to travel to different program sites throughout the five boroughs.
• Has an outgoing personality and enthusiastic attitude.
Intrepid Museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to the goal of building a culturally diverse staff and strongly encourages applications from minority candidates.
Per Diem Educators is sought for delivering in-person (at Museum) programs, virtual programs and off-site programs that make use of the Museum’s collection to engage students, families, adults and seniors, including individuals with…