201 4th St.
Start Date: October 2018 preferred
Hours: 20 hrs/week
Hourly Rate: $18 – 20/hr
Apply by: October 12, 2018
About the Rose Foundation for Communities and the Environment
For 25 years, the Rose Foundation has supported grassroots initiatives that inspire community action to protect the environment, community health, and people’s rights. Our New Voices Are Rising youth leadership program trains Oakland high school students to step forward as the next generation of environmental justice leaders, and our community-based grantmaking approach has earned national recognition for building grassroots community power for conservation and social justice.
About the Position
New Voices are Rising is an environmental justice youth training program that serves youth of color in Oakland’s most disadvantaged communities. The New Voices Are Rising Assistant will work on a part-time basis (20 hours per week) to help foster the next generation of environmental justice leaders as an administrative assistant, youth mentor, program planner, and communications manager.
Duties & Responsibilities
Administrative Assistance (50% of time, approximately 10 hours a week): Maintain data and records for New Voices Are Rising:
- Track key activities and required deliverables
- Help monitor status of required deliverables
- Record student data, especially demographic and project-specific data
- Write reports and help write grant proposals
Youth Mentor (25% of time, approximately 5 hours a week): Assist the New Voices Are Rising
Co-Directors in youth mentorship and youth leadership development, educating youth on environmental justice issues and fostering their growth as environmental justice advocates:
- Lead “Growing Justice” cohort of students from Emiliano Zapata Street Academy
- Conduct internship and school site activities, as needed
- Co-coordinator of Coliseum College Prep Academy internship program
- Co-coordinator of West Oakland air quality projects
- Supervise New Voices Fellows when Co-Directors are unavailable
Program Planning (15% of time, approximately 3 hours a week): Help design and implement New Voices are Rising projects:
- Create curricula in collaboration with the Co-Directors
- Develop internship and school site activities
- Maintain the New Voices are Rising manual
Communications Coordination (10% of time, approximately 2 hours a week): Keep social media and other communications up-to-date:
- Supervise students in regularly updating social media
- Lead on text updates and email newsletter
- Maintain contact database of alumni and partners
This position requires interaction with youth of all backgrounds, and a qualified candidate will demonstrate that they are comfortable relating to youth, and respect youth input and points of view. Specific minimum qualifications include:
- At least a High School graduate, AA degree or higher preferred
- 1-2 years’ experience in youth mentorship, youth development or education, especially with youth of color
- 1-2 years’ experience working in environmental or social justice
- Must be able to sit at a standard desk for periods of 2 hours or more, lift 20 pounds and be able to easily climb a flight of stairs
- Experience with writing about environmental or social justice topics preferred
- A valid California driver’s license preferred
An ideal candidate will be comfortable working, not just with youth of color, but with youth of color from Oakland. They will care deeply about social and environmental justice, and will be passionate about helping to develop young people who step forward as leaders of our communities and society. We strongly encourage applicants who were born and raised in Oakland. We also encourage candidates that identify as women, femme, or non-binary, and candidates that identify as LGBTQ+, and people of color to apply.
New Voices Are Rising is jointly lead by Co-Director, Carlos Zambrano, and Rose Foundation President Jill Ratner. Carlos Zambrano will supervise the Assistant on day-to-day tasks.
The position is a part-time (20 hours/week), non-exempt, at-will position. The pay range is $18 - 20/hour, depending on experience and qualifications. Benefits include paid vacation, sick leave, holiday pay, eligibility for our 401k matched retirement savings program, and eligibility for medical insurance through the Rose Foundation with 50% of the premiums paid by the foundation.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
- Please send a resume, a cover letter specifically explaining your interest in this position, and a writing sample to email@example.com. Please write “New Voices Assistant” in the subject line. Applicants will be acknowledged via email. No phone calls or mailed applications, please.
- Applications must be received by October 12, 2018.