Details: Commensurate with experience
The Rainforest Alliance is an international nonprofit organization working to build a future in which nature is protected and biodiversity flourishes, where farmers, workers, and communities prosper, and where sustainable land use and responsible business practices are the norm. We envision a world where people and nature thrive in harmony.
In January 2018, the Rainforest Alliance merged with UTZ, a global program and label for sustainable farming.
The Senior Manager, Landscape Standard, provides leadership to the development and execution of the Landscape Standard (LS) initiative (http://verra.org/project/landscape-standard/); a collaborative partnership managed by Verra; the Climate, Community and Biodiversity Alliance; and Rainforest Alliance and executed with a growing number of global partners including IUCN; NCRC; Solidaridad and Proforest. He/She will co-lead the overall initiative with a counterpart Verra staffer.
Within the broader initiative, s/he will be the lead to ensure LS builds functional partnerships with priority users in the agribusiness, finance, donor and government sectors; and ensuring the overall financial and strategic viability of LS through developing – and guiding the execution of – a compelling business case and business plan. S/he will also ensure effective management of LS’s grant-funded initiatives. Specifically, overseeing planning, budgeting, implementation, reporting and adaptive management functions of the RA-led BHP-Billiton funded grant. S/he will coordinate closely with Verra staff to support them in executing these functions for the complementary IKI-funded grant, led by Verra, and collaborate closely with all initiative partners on possible future grants.
The Senior Manager will drive effective teamwork and strategic collaboration amongst LS partners, its broader stakeholder network, and internal to the Rainforest Alliance to ensure the LS maximizes its potential as a transformative tool to drive sustainable production at a landscape scale. S/he will frequently represent the Rainforest Alliance and LS in public spaces.
In addition to the Director, Global Programs, the Senior Manager will be accountable to, and take direction from, the Secretariat of the Landscape Standard, which consists of representatives from each of the Rainforest Alliance; Verra; and the Climate, Community and Biodiversity Alliance.
Leadership & Management
- Working hand-in-hand with Verra counterpart, deliver effective and impactful implementation of the Landscape Standard initiative, by fostering a culture of business and project management excellence, and by providing day-to-day oversight of LS initiative implementation, with a primary focus on resources executed under the BHP-Billiton grant;
- Work hand-in-hand with Verra counterpart to jointly develop integrated annual workplans, budgets and implement processes and procedures for efficient monitoring, knowledge management, adaptive management and donor reporting across the full range of LS donor funding sources;
- Delegate authority to staff and partners across the LS initiative, ensure they are effective and supported, and ensure planned objectives are achieved and in line with budgets and related policies;
- For grants led by RA, be overall accountable to ensure timely completion of progress reports and annual planning; oversee planning and budgeting, reporting and contractual compliance per country, funder and Rainforest Alliance requirements;
- Ensure effective communications with the broader network of LS partners and internally within RA;
- Identify and manage financial, legal and technical risks and escalate issues appropriately;
- Collaborate with the LS Secretariat to effectively manage issues and ensure successful adaptive management;
- Ensure effective cross-functional coordination within RA to maximize the impact and success of LS;
- Ensure effective engagement of the LS Secretariat, this includes: i) provide executive updates to the Secretariat and request and respond to strategic input as needed; and ii) co-coordinate the LS Secretariat sessions, including preparation of materials and agenda and execution of action items post-meeting;
- Serve as day-to-day liaison with EcoAdvisors and BHP-Billiton Foundation representatives.
Advocacy & External Engagement
- Working in collaboration, convene and coordinate the LS Global Advisory Committee, as well as provide guidance, advisory and support to Local Advisory Committees in order to ensure alignment at the local and global level;
- Develop and maintain functional partnerships with key clients, partners, platforms, NGOs, governments, certification bodies and other stakeholders; and further build the reputation and credibility of LS as the leading tool for sustainable productive landscape management;
- Represent RA and LS at key events, presentations, policy forums and roundtables and communicate program achievements.
- Provide strategic advisory to Verra counterpart to inform LS framework development, which is led by Verra.
- Be accountable for success of RA-led pilots (Mexico, Peru), ensure effective engagement of RA-staff in other pilot sites (Costa Rica, Ghana), and coordinate with Verra counterpart to ensure consistency in pilot work across countries and alignment between piloting, framework development, and demand building.
- Refine and improve the overall business case for LS;
- Develop the business plan for LS that will ensure its financial and strategic viability of LS post-project;
- Proactively identify and cultivate a network of relationships with senior leads and decision makers whose organizations may become key LS users in the agribusiness, finance, donor and government sectors;
- In close coordination with the Secretariat and the Rainforest Alliance’s Institutional Relations and Programs colleagues, provide key inputs to cultivation and grant-writing processes required to secure additional resources for LS roll-out, as these may become needed;
- Other duties as assigned.
- At least 10 years’ experience, ideally in a senior level management position;
- International work experience in tropical countries, preferably those where LS is being piloted (Costa Rica; Guatemala; Ghana; Mexico; Peru), and experience working with different cultures is a must;
- Experience developing and managing successful projects in the natural resources management sector
- Experience working with (or within) agribusiness or finance companies to advance sustainable sourcing and/or investment decisions;Demonstrated success building or managing results-oriented and collaborative multi-stakeholder partnerships;
- Knowledge, prior application of, or experience developing and/or managing leading certification and verification standards and systems – experience ensuring viability of business models for these systems a plus;
- Written and verbal proficiency in English and Spanish;
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal;
- Ability and willingness to travel at least 25% of the time nationally and internationally;
- Background in finance, business administration or marketing is a plus.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please apply online at https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=10107189-e1d2-44a3-9eba-6e8e5533f14c&jobId=255562&lang=en_US&source=CC2&ccId=19000101_000001. Combine cover letter and resume as one single document and upload.
Only candidates authorized to work in hiring country will be considered