As one of the nation’s premier humanitarian organizations, the American Red Cross is dedicated to helping people in need throughout the United States and, in association with other Red Cross networks, throughout the world. We depend on the many generous contributions of time, blood, and money from the American public to support our lifesaving services and programs.
As an employee at the American Red Cross, you could be on the front lines making a positive impact on our community. You could provide your services directly to the American public or support to the people who do. Both roles help further the mission of the Red Cross. Join our non-profit organization, where your heart and mind go to work!
The American Red Cross National Capital and Greater Chesapeake Region is seeking a Regional Communications Manager to be based in our Fairfax, VA Chapter. You must have a valid driver's license and be willing to travel throughout the region as needed.
Due to Covid19, this position is temporary work from home. You must be in or near Fairfax, VA.
Perform communications and marketing functions that drive regional business objectives and results, publicize the mission of the Red Cross, support revenue generations, and educate the public about how to access Red Cross services. Work in close collaboration with regional Development, Disaster Cycle Services, Service to the Armed Forces, Biomedical Services, Training Services, and Volunteer Services staff to provide communication and marketing support. Provide support, development and/or leadership guidance to all volunteers.
Perform all duties and responsibilities in compliance with standard operating procedures and other applicable Federal, State and local regulations.
1. Media Relations: Work with regional communications director, regional executive, executive director and others to execute determined media relations strategy, including maintaining excellent media contact relationships, news release writing and distributions, pitching, etc. Respond to local media inquiries by coordinating interviews and providing Red Cross approved information, as appropriate. Required to serve as a Red Cross spokesperson, train and prepare staff and volunteer spokespersons throughout the region, review support requests, and develop and execute an effective communications strategy.
2. Public Affairs and Crisis Communications: Support regional, divisional, and potentially national disaster public affairs activities. Provide training to regional disaster public affairs volunteers. May be required to deploy to support disaster response operations outside of home region or may be tasked to conduct public affairs volunteer training and development across the division.
3. Social Engagement: Implement a social media engagement strategy for the region that reflects the regional priorities in alignment with the enterprise-wide social media strategy. Produce relevant local content for regional web and social platforms.
4. Marketing Support: Support integrated campaign/program development in collaboration with Field Marketing and Regional Financial Development. Encourage staff to be trained on and use Brand Central.
5. Internal Communications: Support development of strategic and change management communications.
6. Volunteer Engagement: Support the regional communications director in building, engaging and supervising a regional communications and disaster public affairs volunteer team.
Individual contributor that is fully proficient in applying subject matter knowledge. Knowledge based acquired from several years of experience in particular area. Work independently and may instruct or coach other professionals.
Education: Bachelor's degree required.
Experience: Minimum 3 years of related experience or equivalent combination of education and related experience required in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, Marketing, Public Affairs or related field required.
Management Experience: N/A
Skills and Abilities: Good understanding of role and industry, apply specialized knowledge. Know what is expected in the role and expectations. Proficient in the role. Analyze possible solutions using standard procedures. Outstanding oral and written communication skills required, with proven knowledge of AP Style. Demonstrate effective critical thinking and strategic planning. Strong organizational and multi-tasking skills. Ability to use Microsoft Office Suite. Familiarity with Cision/TrendKite or other media monitoring software. Demonstrated experience managing professional social media platforms for an organization is required. Must be comfortable using website content management systems and other marketing tools. Willingness to serve as a media spokesperson required; experience as a spokesperson preferred. Strong teamwork and collaboration required. Ability to work on a team.
Travel: Travel may be required 10-25%. May vary by region.
* Combination of candidate’s education and general experience satisfies requirements so long as the total years equate to description’s minimum education and general experience years combined (Management experience cannot be substituted).
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to handle or feel; and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 15 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. The work environment will consist of moderate noise (i.e. business office with computers, phones and printers, light traffic). The employee must have the ability to work in a small cubicle and have the ability to sit at a computer terminal for an extended period of time.
DISCLAIMER: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Apply now! Joining our team will provide you with the opportunity to make a difference every day.
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
As one of the nation’s premier humanitarian organizations, the American Red Cross is dedicated to helping people in need throughout the United States and, in association with other Red Cross networks, throughout the world. We depend on the…