- Direct and manage all credit union finance and accounting functions.
- Ensure compliance with State and Federal rules and regulations.
- Manage auditing, accounting, and recordkeeping activities of the credit union.
- Prepare budget income forecasting, asset-liability testing, and make recommendations for operational changes as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A.)
- Five years minimum accounting or finance experience (preferably with credit union).
- Excellent analytical, reasoning and problem-solving skills.
- Working knowledge of forecasting, financial reports, short and long- term budgeting.
- Experience working with investments, particularly ones that are in compliance with NCUA.
- Significant experience working with external auditors, internal controls and compliance related issues.
- Demonstrated ability to supervise and motivate subordinates.
- Good judgement with the ability to make timely and sound decisions.
- Strong organizational skills; able to manage priorities and workflow.
- Ability to work with all levels of management.
- Versatility, flexibility, and a willingness to work within constantly changing priorities with enthusiasm.
- Background coordinating with I.T. staff to manage and/or upgrade accounting system. Systems implementation experience strongly preferred.
• Organizational Support: Develops and adheres to policies and procedures. Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time. Supports organization's goals and values. Benefits organization through outside activities. Supports affirmative action and respects diversity.
• Strategic Thinking: Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals. Understands organization's strengths & weaknesses. Analyzes market and competition. Identifies external threats and opportunities. Adapts strategy to changing conditions.
• Professionalism: Approaches others in a tactful manner. Reacts well under pressure. Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position. Accepts responsibility for own actions. Follows through on commitments.
• Dependability: Keeps commitments, responds to management direction. Takes responsibility for own actions. Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals. Completes work on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
• Teamwork: Balances team and individual responsibilities. Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views. Gives and welcomes feedback. Contributes to building a positive team spirit. Puts success of team above own interests. Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives. Supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Directs and oversees the credit union’s financial administration and planning including but not limited to financial policy development and implementation, management of accounting systems, budget planning and implementation, risk management, short- and long-term forecasting, and strategic planning.
- Manages the functional areas of financial reporting and control, budgeting, forecasting, investor relations, and audit management information.
- Establishes appropriate internal systems to support financial and business operations consistent with the credit union’s growth and reporting requirements.
- Directly or thru subordinates, oversee and manage the financial and accounting functions of the credit union, including: ALM, loan loss reserves, AP/AR, budgets, collections, GL, financial analysis, financial reporting and bookkeeping, investment, payroll and taxes.
- Develop, implement, and evaluate policies and procedures for the accounting/Finance Department. Ensure that policies and procedures reflect current regulations and are communicated to and implemented by subordinates.
- Assist with lease negotiation and major purchase decision for capital equipment or other capital asset expenditures.
- Assist in analysis of new branch site location and closings of existing branches.
- Develop, perform, and oversee various internal audit procedures, i.e. cash counts, teller drawer audits, review employee accounts, loan documentation, wire transfer, etc.
- Provide guidance regarding investment decision.
- Participate in determining deposit and loan rate.
- Monthly, ensure that the EOM is completed, Board reports are completed.
- Quarterly, ensure that the EOQ is completed, declared dividends are paid, and required transfers to reserves are made.
- Quarterly ensure that Call Report is prepare and submitted to NCUA.
- Quarterly- Prepare ALM reports and schedule meetings.
- Participate in the development of short and long-range capital and operating budget.
- Interface with NCUA examiner with periodic examinations; follow up on findings and records of action, if any (with CEO; Senior Management; Board and committee members, as appropriate)
- Assist supervisory committee with periodic audits and account verifications; follow up on recommendations (with SM).
POLICIES & PROCEDURES
- Develop and implement CU policies (with board of directors and CEO).
- Update CU policy manual as policies change.
- Oversee Quarterly preparation of 5300 “Call” Report, and its timely submission to NCUA.
- Ensure that annual reporting to IRS for dividends (1099-INT), non-employee compensation (1099-MISC).
- Ensure the FRB2900 report is file timely.
- Ensure that annual Abandoned Property Report is prepared and timely submitted to NYS.
- Hire, supervise, promote, and terminate (Finance Department staff), (with /CEO).
- Oversee payroll and benefits administration.
- Conduct performance evaluations of (Finance Department staff) at least annually. OTHER
- Meet regularly with CEO and with other CU management staff.
- Answer inquiries from members and potential members re: CU membership, services, policies and procedures.
- Attend professional development seminars, workshops and training, as required by management.
- Perform all other duties assigned by management for the smooth and efficient operation of the CU.