The Community Health Worker (CHW) will be responsible for supporting community members in improving their health and well-being, through outreach and engagement activities, which are primarily based at The Center, Palm Springs. The CHW works closely and collaboratively with the Programs Team, as well as with partner organizations to ensure high quality and seamless care for community members.
· Responsible for assisting community members in navigating the healthcare system by finding and following up by phone, virtually, and in person with hard-to-reach community members, helping community members successfully participate in their own well-being, connecting to community resources, and sharing information on barriers with supervisors to improve collaborative process.
· Model the highest ethical behavior in relationships with co-workers, supervisors, community members, providers, partner organizations, and colleagues in the community.
· Responsible for engaging with community members, in-person, virtually, and on the phone or virtually, in a manner that utilizes evidence-based approaches (such as Motivational Interviewing) that promotes collaboration between the community member and their peers/larger community as well as to increase the community member’s sense of control over their whole health.
· Delivering information about health and wellness in ways that the community can easily understand and providing information on programs and services.
· Providing advocacy on behalf of community members in the larger community, and with partner organizations.
· Responsible for building and maintaining a positive working relationship with partner organizations, including, but not limited to, communication via in-person, over the phone, and through digital means such as email and fax.
· Responsible for assisting The Center Leadership Team to understand the culture, norms, beliefs and preferences of the community members and their community by: representing the voice of the community, helping to create messages and materials that fit community culture, and delivering these messages in a way that fits the culture of community members.
· Responsible for promoting a collaborative and effective working environment within the Programs Team by engaging in evidenced-based communication strategies (such as Motivational Interviewing) when discussing responsibility/sharing of tasks, effectively resolving conflicts as they arise, and collaborating on community member case discussions.
· Ensures documentation is accurate, useful and in compliance with regulatory requirements and accreditation standards.
· Participates in all appropriate staff meetings or other activities as needed.
· Additional duties as assigned.
· California Driver’s License with ability to be independently mobile with applicable insurance
· High school diploma or GED required
· Knowledge of the community the CHW will be working in, especially non-professional resources, and their reputation in the community. Understanding of and sensitivity to mental health conditions and addictive disorders. Awareness of the impact of unmitigated bias and judgement on health; commitment to addressing both. Understanding of, and a commitment to, high preforming team practices
· Bilingual Spanish Preferred
· Highly skilled interpersonally with excellent teamwork and relationship skills. Highly skilled in interpersonal communication, including resolving conflict.
· Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including but not limited to the ability to connect with an audience, the ability to speak using clear and plain language, active listening, and strong writing ability.
· Relationship skills, including but not limited to empathy, motivational interviewing, coaching and social support, and managing conflict. Sensitivity to multi-cultural communities.
· Computer skills, including typing, data entry, and managing email.
· Professional skills, including but not limited to balancing multiple projects, constant learning, observing ethical and legal rules, identifying situations calling for mandatory reporting, and practicing respect and courtesy.
· Ability to objectively report data. Ability to critically review data and identify targeted areas for program activity.
· Commitment to inclusive, multi-cultural programming; prior experience working with and in coalition with diverse BIPOC communities with an understanding of intersectional oppressions.
· Knowledge and understanding of the issues, needs and interests of LGBTQ youth, adults, families and community, including knowledge of the spectrum of gender and nonbinary identity and issues.
· A strong commitment to the mission and work of The LGBTQ Community Center of the Desert.
To apply, please submit a cover letter outlining your interest and applicable skills along with a CV/resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Community Health Worker (CHW) will be responsible for supporting community members in improving their health and well-being, through outreach and engagement activities, which are primarily based at The Center, Palm…
Bilingual Spanish Preferred
Bilingual Spanish Preferred