NEW YORK CARES
By developing programs that respond to pressing community needs, New York Cares—New York City’s leading volunteer management organization—provides a lifeline of support to our city’s most vulnerable residents. Last year, we mobilized nearly 65,000 individual volunteers and hundreds of companies, civic and youth groups to help improve the lives of nearly 550,000 struggling New Yorkers. Our volunteers donate their time and talents at over 1,300 nonprofits across the five boroughs to improve education, meet immediate needs such as hunger and homelessness, and revitalize public spaces.
New York Cares prides itself on a culture of excellence, defined by integrity, reliability, and professionalism. We have been awarded The New York Times Nonprofit Excellence Award, which recognizes outstanding management practices, and the Peter F. Drucker Award for Nonprofit Innovation. The Nonprofit Times, Crain’s New York, The Princeton Review and The Wall Street Journal have all recognized New York Cares as a top-notch employer.
Reporting to the Manager of Financial Security Programs, the VITA Seasonal Program Associate is part of a two-person team that assists New York Cares with the oversight of the VITA Program and its related efforts to provide tax return preparation support to low-income taxpayers at no-cost.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
· Recruit, interview and support volunteer Team Leaders for the 2018-2019 VITA Tax Program
· Respond to a high volume of phone (5+ calls daily) and email inquiries (50+ emails daily) from prospective volunteers and volunteer leaders
· Coordinate volunteer recruitment, training, and placement to engage 400 volunteers
· Lead evening and weekend trainings and orientations for groups of volunteers
· Track and enter data into our database (Salesforce) on volunteer training and enrollment
· Prepare and organize materials for volunteer training
· Collaborate with partner agencies to conduct outer-borough volunteer outreach and increase awareness of New York Cares volunteer opportunities
· Complete a minimum of the IRS Basic Certification Exam prior the first day of Tax Season
· Work remotely during the New York Cares holiday break, which spans from December 25 through January 1
- Background or interest in volunteer management, community engagement, and/or economic empowerment
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Professional demeanor, both in-person and on the phone
- Ability to be flexible, keep a sense of humor, and solve problems with confidence
· Confidence in public speaking and presentation; responsive, and resolute when interfacing with external partners;
· Strong organizational skills that reflect an ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks with excellent attention to detail;
· Demonstrated success in working as part of an integrated team and take on additional tasks as necessary and adjust to changing priorities;
· Demonstrated commitment to community service and volunteerism;
· A flexible schedule, including the ability to work late evenings, early mornings and occasional Saturdays, as needed;
· The ability to handle or move project supplies and equipment weighing up to 35 pounds for training events;
· Broad-based computer skills, Excel, and Salesforce a plus;
$20/hour, commensurate with experience
This engagement is for a limited term, as follows:
35 hours per week October through April 2018
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to:
New York Cares
Attn: Caroline Ladzinski
By mail: 65 Broadway, 19th Floor, New York, NY 10006
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org (Subject: VITA Seasonal Program Associate)
By fax: 212-228-6414
No Phone Calls
Please apply no later than October 12, 2018
AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply.
New York Cares is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.