Details: EFF has a generous rental assistance program that can add up to $14,800, a student loan repayment program that can cover your minimum monthly student loan payments
815 Eddy Street
The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) is seeking applicants for the full-time position of Client Platform Engineer to join our Technical Operations team. EFF is the leading nonprofit organization defending civil liberties in the digital world. Founded in 1990, EFF champions user privacy, free expression, and innovation through impact litigation, policy analysis, grassroots activism, and technology development. We work to ensure that rights and freedoms are enhanced and protected as our use of technology grows.
The Client Platform Engineer will manage our mixed-environment fleet of laptops, tablets, and mobile phones. We're looking for someone who picks the best modern tool available, but is also comfortable maintaining legacy systems and will make meaningful contributions to our tight-knit six-person team.
While we would be very excited to hire someone with client platform engineering experience, we are also prepared to provide training for the particular CPE tools we employ to someone with scripting skills, basic server administration skills, and a desire to specialize in client platform engineering.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Administer, scale, and improve the security of EFF’s fleet of Mac and Linux laptops.
- Design, build, and manage endpoint infrastructure using industry best practices.
- Provision and deploy laptops with MDM/DEP and configuration management tools like Ansible, Chef, Puppet, or SaltStack.
- Package software and keep packaged software and operating systems up-to-date across the fleet using Munki and AutoPkg.
- Create and maintain detailed technical documentation and accurately track inventory status.
- Proven expertise administering & troubleshooting macOS and solid experience with at least one Linux distribution, preferably Ubuntu or Debian.
- Confident on the command line and when using git.
- Comfortable with at least one of the following scripting languages: Ruby, Python, or Bash (and willingness & ability to learn the others).
- Understands software packaging for macOS and Linux.
- Friendly, empathetic, and customer-service oriented.
- Understands the importance of security and privacy.
Desired Additional Qualifications:
- One year experience with client platform engineering.
- Experience with configuration management software (Chef, Ansible).
- Experience with client platform tools (Munki, Autopkg, DEP, MDM, Osquery, Jamf, Fleetsmith).
- Experience with Identity Providers/SSO (SAML, Oauth, LDAP).
- Familiar with DevOps and Continuous Integration processes.
- Familiar with hardening software against security vulnerabilities.
This is a full-time exempt position based in EFF’s offices in San Francisco. The position requires supporting staff in-person and troubleshooting laptops and other devices at EFF’s San Francisco office, working remotely is not an option.
As an advocacy organization, EFF is committed to being part of a diverse community. Diversity of life experiences makes a big difference in how we identify and litigate legal issues, design privacy-enhancing software, and organize our activism. To that end, we deliberately seek applicants with different perspectives, identities, and experiences to build an inclusive workplace to better inform our advocacy and defense of freedom in our digital world. EFF is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people of all races, genders, ages, abilities, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply.
EFF is a great place to work. We offer a supportive and empowering environment, along with an excellent benefits package including housing cost assistance, student loans assistance, medical, dental, and vision insurance, a 403(b)(7) retirement savings program with matching, paid time off, holiday benefits, parental leave, a dog-friendly workplace, and more.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply please submit your resume and cover letter indicating why you are interested in the position and working at EFF.