GrowNYC is a 50-year-old environmental nonprofit organization - helping more than 3 million New Yorkers by providing essential services and taking action to make NYC a livable city, one where every person can enjoy a healthier, more sustainable life. In particular, our network of Greenmarkets, Farmstands, Fresh Food Box sites, and GrowNYC Wholesale ensures that all New Yorkers have access to the freshest, healthiest local food.
Greenmarket promotes regional agriculture and ensures a continuing supply of fresh local produce for New Yorkers. Greenmarket supports farmers and preserves farmland for the future by providing regional, small family farmers with opportunities to sell their fruits, vegetables, and other farm products directly to New Yorkers.
In the face of the COVID-19 pandemic, GrowNYC has been called upon to continue to provide essential food access programs to New Yorkers across the city. Market Managers are Greenmarket’s representatives to the public. On a daily basis, they work to build healthy communities and create an environment where local farmers can sell their products and keep their farms viable. The Market Manager position is seasonal and is comprised of three equally important components – operations, promotions and Food Access, our at-market food access program. Additionally, Managers will be tasked with ensuring all COVID-19 safety measures.
Responsibilities (include, but are not limited to)
● Oversee market set up – coordinate placement of farmer trucks and tents according to the market layout
● Set up and break down GrowNYC information tent, which may involve carrying cases/bags weighing up to 50lbs, folding tables, and performing other physical labor
● Complete daily reports and other site-specific paperwork by assigned deadlines
● Follow and enforce rules and regulations, especially as they pertain to social distancing and food safety
● Resolve conflict and tackle issues at sites as they arise
● Perform EBT, debit/credit, and cash transactions at sites and maintain accurate records
● Manage a bank of at-market currencies and ensure that it is balanced after each shift
● Educate customers on a variety of food access and incentive programs.
● Attend weekly online meetings
● Early riser who enjoys working outdoors in all weather conditions
● Passionate about farming, farmers markets, local agriculture, cooking, and/or food access
● Willing to work weekends
● Enjoys talking and working with people of all backgrounds
● Strong communication skills
● Works well both independently and as a member of a team
● Creative problem-solver, able to troubleshoot and use good judgement to make on-the-spot decisions
● Have a valid driver’s license and willingness to drive a cargo van (not required for all positions)
● Fluency in multiple languages is a big plus (especially, but not limited to, Spanish, Mandarin and Cantonese)
Ability to lift up to 50lbs, though employee may request accommodations as needed.
Schedule: The schedule has variable hours – a minimum of 6 hours a week to no more than 40 hours per week. Shifts are available all days of the week and usually start early in the morning (6am).
Compensation: The position is a non-exempt seasonal and variable hourly position. It pays $18 per hour and includes only statutory benefits.
GrowNYC is an Affirmative Action Equal Opportunity Employer
and hires without regard to race, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation or physical disability.
GrowNYC is a 50-year-old environmental nonprofit organization - helping more than 3 million New Yorkers by providing essential services and taking action to make NYC a livable city, one where every person can…