Director of Community Programs
New York, NY
Reports to: President
Settlement Housing Fund, Inc., (SHF) is seeking a Director of Community Programs. The Director of Community Programs will be responsible for designing and supervising community programming at existing and future Settlement Housing Fund project sites and for building and leveraging partnerships with other community programs. The Director of Community Programs is a senior member of the Settlement Housing Fund team and candidates for the position should be proven and effective leaders in the field.
Settlement Housing Fund, Inc. (SHF) is a nonprofit organization that creates and sustains high quality affordable housing and community programs, building strong and economically diverse neighborhoods throughout New York City. SHF works closely with community partners to provide low- and moderate-income New Yorkers with pathways to long-term affordable housing, education, employment and wellness. SHF currently owns approximately 1,700 units of affordable housing in 30 buildings, located in the Bronx, Manhattan, and Brooklyn, and is actively working to increase its pipeline.
Since 1969, Settlement Housing Fund has developed 57 projects with over 8,700 apartments -- rentals, cooperatives, and two-family houses -- that are home to more than 25,000 low- and moderate-income residents, including formerly homeless New Yorkers. Our next new affordable housing development broke ground this summer and will be our 18th residential building at New Settlement Apartments in the Mt. Eden section of the Bronx. Whenever possible, we incorporate commercial space and community programs for children, young adults and families that provide opportunities for educational success and upward mobility.
Settlement Housing Fund is in a period of expansion, and looking for staff members who want to be a part of growing an established non-profit. The staff at SHF is mission-oriented and committed to teamwork. We value a fun and collegial environment and are looking for someone who is committed to our mission and work.
· Supervise two (2) SHF Program Directors who oversee existing community programming in Crown Heights, Brooklyn, and on the Upper West Side including a GED/jobs training program for disconnected youth, a computer lab, a community garden, children’s after-school and summer programs, a homeless shelter, and programs that assist formerly homeless families transition to permanent housing and financial independence;
· Design and operationalize new community programming located at or near SHF’s current and future housing developments;
· Expand SHF’s new “after care” initiative which provides case management to formerly homeless families placed in SHF permanent housing. Responsibilities will include supervising a case management team;
· Program evaluation to determine if established outcomes are being met, and how to make programs more effective and efficient;
· Close collaboration with the Director of Fund Development and Director of Government Grants on preparation/submission of funding requests/reporting to governmental agencies, foundations and other private funders;
· Establish partnerships with existing community programs to maximize services for SHF program participants;
· Provide support to front line staff as needed in crisis situations that transpire at program sites;
· Hire, train and supervise project directors at community program sites;
· Travel to community program sites frequently to supervise program directors, observe on the ground services and programming, and monitor outcomes metrics and reporting;
· Represent the organization at conferences and at stakeholder meetings with funders, government partners, and auditors;
· With Program Directors and CFO, create and monitor community programming budgets.
In depth knowledge of the NYC social service landscape and community programming providers;
5 years of senior supervisory experience with demonstrated record of team building;
Experience working with disconnected youth and homeless families preferred;
Ability to manage multiple tasks, think creatively, work independently and relate to people with a diversity of backgrounds;
Commitment to principles of affordable housing and community development;
Licensed Master’s degree in Social Work (LMSW) preferred.
SHF is a non-discriminatory and equal opportunity employer and recipient of Department of Labor YouthBuild funds.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send Resume and Cover Letter. Please put "Director of Community Programs" in the subject line.