4700 G Wissahickon Ave.
Wissahickon Charter School is seeking a middle school math teacher for our Awbury campus. The middle school math teacher serves students in 7th and 8th grade. S/he will be responsible for developing and implementing instruction that builds positive classroom community and promotes academic and social/emotional growth. Teachers must be committed to the belief that all students can learn and must be relentless in their efforts to address the wide range of learning styles, needs and interests of Wissahickon Charter School students. The ideal candidate will have prior classroom teaching experience in an urban setting. This is an outstanding opportunity to improve the academic and social outcomes of children from across the city of Philadelphia.
- Establish and maintain a learning environment that excites, invests, and motivates students to achieve academic and behavioral expectations
- Implement organized, differentiated instruction using the College Preparatory Math curriculum
- Work collaboratively with grade team, learning specialist co-teacher, teaching assistants, and other staff to support student growth
- Build classroom community through the development of CARES values (CARES stands for Cooperation, Academic Excellence & Assertion, Responsibility, Empathy and Self-Control)
- Consistently implement middle school student management practices within the classroom and throughout school
- Establish and maintain relationships with families through regular communication, updates and opportunities for involvement
- Track student performance and use data from Wissahickon Charter School’s internal assessments to drive instruction and behavior interventions
- Exemplify WCS’ CARES values in all interactions with students, families and colleagues
- Seek out and be receptive to feedback from the Middle School Director, Dean of Culture and peers with the goal of improving instructional and culture-building skills
- Participate in all professional development, team planning and data analysis meetings
- Assume other duties as assigned by the administrative team
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred
- Current or pending relevant teaching certification
- Experience with Envisions curriculum a plus
- Teaching experience in an urban setting highly preferred
- Strong instructional and classroom management skills, with a record of increasing students’ academic and behavioral gains
- Knowledge of Pennsylvania and Common Core Standards
- Familiarity/experience with Developmental Designs approach a plus
- Receptiveness to feedback, positive attitude, and a desire to continuously improve
- Flexible and able to adjust instructional strategies in order to reach goals
- High level of personal organization, planning, and follow-through
- Strong oral and written communication skills and the ability to effectively communicate with students, families, supervisors and colleagues
- Collaborative work style; including maturity, humility, and a sense of humor
- Belief in Wissahickon Charter Schools’ mission and environmental education model, and the belief that all children can learn and succeed
About Wissahickon Charter School
Wissahickon Charter School's first campus, Fernhill, opened in 2002 and serves 480 K-8 students from across Philadelphia. Our second K-8 campus, Awbury, opened in the fall of 2014 and also serves 480 students. The mission of Wissahickon Charter School (WCS) is to provide a community of learning that stimulates and builds the child's intellectual, social, and character development. Wissahickon Charter Schools are planned around three essential elements: an environmental focus that allows students to experience the curriculum, recognition of service learning projects as key in students’ success, and an emphasis on parents as partners in the learning experiences of their children.
How to Apply
To be considered, please send the following to email@example.com. Please write “MS Math Teacher” in the subject line.
1. Cover letter indicating why you would be a great fit for the position and for Wissahickon Charter School
Wissahickon Charter School is committed to hiring a diverse staff and encourages those from traditionally under-represented backgrounds to apply. Wissahickon Charter School does not discriminate in hiring or employment, or in the administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, or other programs. 4700G Wissahickon Avenue, Philadelphia PA 19144 • www.wissahickoncharter.org
Minimum Education Required