Details: $40-50/hour, commensurate with experience
333 East 151st Street
Vision Ed Inc is a nonprofit education organization that brings project-based STEAM programming to students in underrepresented and underserved communities throughout the New York City area. To-date, we have served close to 2,000 children in grades K-12, through original and collaborative programming.
We are looking for an After School Music Production Instructor to teach the basics of music production to high school students in the South Bronx. This is a unique opportunity to create lessons and activities in a student-centered environment and inspire kids in both arts and technology to help foster 21st century skills and creativity.
This after-school club is part of a larger, state-funded grant program, for which Vision Ed Inc is the lead provider. The intern will work closely with the Executive Director, Assistant Program Director, and school staff and administration.
Pay is $40-50 per hour, for 2-hour class sessions twice per week, plus 30 minutes each day for lesson planning and prep time. Additional pay for curriculum development will be at a lower, administrative work rate, and predetermined prior to starting work. We are looking for someone to start immediately.
- Teach a 2-hour class in Music Production twice per week for the 2018-19 school year.
- Plan and submit lessons monthly, 4 weeks in advance.
- Manage different learning styles and personalities in an after-school classroom environment.
- Help students to learn the basics of song structure, beat-making, and technique through student-centered teaching style and participatory learning.
- Help students learn the basics of music recording and editing software (we use Garage Band).
- Support students in working on independent or collaborative projects, while also offering assignments or challenges to students who require more guidance.
- Promote the club to students during select school days and work to retain participants throughout the school year.
- Take attendance each day via VEI-provided sign-in sheets and submit them daily.
- Maintain a positive, safe, and supportive learning environment
- Familiarize yourself with the work, programming, organizational structure, and mission/values of VEI and our activities.
- Work in collaboration with other staff as well as independently.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Experience in music composition, production, and/or DJing.
- Experience teaching or mentoring kids (ideally high school-aged)
- Knowledge of Garage Band or other music production/editing software
- Excellent grammar and presentation skills.
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong classroom/group management skills.
- Must show initiative, creativity, and ability to work independently.
- Must be self-motivated and have an energetic disposition.
Level of Language Proficiency
English required; Spanish helpful.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
If you meet all of the qualifications listed above please send an email, attaching your updated resume and a cover letter detailing your experience and qualifications to the address provided. Please enter "Music Production Teacher" in the subject line.