About the Central Texas Organizer
The Central Texas Organizer is a key leadership position in the Texas Working Families Party (TX-WFP) and the core driver of our strategy to recruit and support progressive activist champions to run for elected office in Bexar and Travis Counties.
The Central Texas Organizer will also work with WFP leadership bodies and senior staff to develop and implement regional strategy and plans to 1) build the leadership, membership and supporter base of TX-WFP; 2) coordinate TX-WFP electoral and field programs in the region; and 3) win legislative victories to advance racial, economic, and social justice in Texas.
- Develop short, medium and long-term strategic and organizing plans, that help grow our membership, advance our issue campaigns and build TX-WFP
- Work to build membership capacity and political power with close allies across grassroots organizations, social movement groups, and independent political organizations
- Work in conjunction with WFP regional leaders to identify and recruit a diverse group of strategic leaders from labor and community organizations as well as the broader public
- Build WFP Leadership Committees in Austin and San Antonio
- Oversee all WFP electoral efforts in Central Texas including:
- Identification with support from WFP leadership of key strategic opportunities and priority electoral races
- Candidate recruitment and vetting including mobilizing candidates to support WFP and ally issues
- Coordination of candidate and district research including opposition research and demographic and quantitative analysis of electoral districts
- Manage WFP’s political relationships to fulfill the organizational goal of identifying, training, and inspiring progressive activists in Texas to consider running for office each year
- Ensure that WFP remains compliant with all federal, state, and local campaign finance laws
- Work with endorsed candidates to make sure they are running strong campaigns
- Build and maintain strong relationships with city and state elected officials in Bexar and Travis Counties
- Provide occasional support for WFP affiliates and allies on legislative campaigns
- Build up a grassroots fundraising base from WFP members
- Contribute to planning occasional funder meetings and the development of fundraising proposals for TX-WFP campaigns
MEDIA AND COMMUNICATIONS
- Serve as organizational spokesperson for community events and media relations including writing and delivering speeches to engage the public in organizational priorities as it relates to Central Texas
- Work with national communications staff on op-eds, letters to the editor, and other earned media strategies
- Oversee press releases, endorsement announcements, pre-election teasers, and other media outreach
- Lead Central Texas WFP’s digital presence including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and e-mail
- Develop and implement a strategy that engages online activists to take offline action
- A passion and commitment to social, economic, and racial justice
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills with demonstrated focus on public speaking, training and meeting facilitation
- Experience building and/or maintaining coalitions
- A minimum of one cycle of direct electoral experience on an election or independent campaign with multiple cycles of experience preferred
- A minimum of one year of supervisory experience
Salary is commensurate with experience; excellent benefits including medical, dental, and vision insurance and 401(k) plan.
The Working Families Party (WFP)
The Working Families Party is a progressive grassroots political party. We are building a multiracial feminist movement of working people to transform America into a country that works for the man, not just the wealthy few. We recruit, train, and support transformational candidates up and down the ballot -- and run them to win. The WFP is made up of our individual members across the country, along with our partners in unions, community organizations and social movements.
The Working Families Party and the Working Families Organization are equal opportunity employers with a commitment to social justice. Women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ+ community and other historically disenfranchised populations are strongly encouraged to apply. If you need accommodations to apply for this position, email firstname.lastname@example.org with "Application Accommodations" in the subject line. No applications will be accepted via this email address.