JOB DESCRIPTION – ADVOCATE I
This position is grant dependent.
ORGANIZATION SUMMARY: Manavi, is a nonprofit organization with the goal to empower women who trace their heritage to South Asia. To this purpose, Manavi believes that violence is a barrier and an important factor in the disempowerment of women and considers violence against women to be more extensive than just domestic violence and sexual assault. Manavi’s work has local, statewide, national, and international focus and for social change.
POSITION SUMMARY: The Advocate-I is part of a team of staff members that works on a day-to-day basis to implement Manavi’s goal of empowering victimized South Asian women. This position has primary responsibilities of advocating for women by centralizing their needs in practice. Furthermore, s/he ensures the smooth overall functioning of other aspects of the organization. Advocate-I participates in the Advocacy Collective and adheres to the requirements of the group. This position can be part-time or full-time based on the grant and reports to the Executive Director as well as the Board of Directors.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS: The candidate must have 40 hours of Domestic Violence Response Training (DVRT) and/or 60 hours of Sexual Assault Response Training (SART) as required by the state of New Jersey. In addition, s/he must have 20 hours of training in South Asian cultural issues provided by Manavi. These trainings may be obtained after joining work at one’s own time but must be completed within six (6) months of starting work. The candidate must be organized, interested in working with individuals and communities, and a self-motivated worker. The ideal candidate would also have knowledge of violence against women and interest in social justice work. Demonstrable writing, organizing, and computer skills as well as public speaking experience are added qualifications.
Position will require some amount of local driving and a valid driver’s license, a car and ability to drive is a must. S/he must have flexibility in work hours including a few evening and weekend hours. Some out-of-state travel and training work may be involved. Manavi is looking for proficiency in at least one of the following South Asian languages - Hindi, Gujarati, Bengali, Telugu, Tamil, Kannada, Malayalum.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
· Fulfill all the grant specific deliverables
· Provide advocacy to survivors of violence including information and resource referrals, interpretation, and court
as well as medical accompaniment
· Assist survivors of violence to build financial independence including but not limited to resume writing, job
searching, developing interviewing techniques and other marketable skills
· Liaise and partner with existing resources including government programs, job centers, community based and
other organizations. Build, enhance, and maintain advocacy resources
· Coordinate meetings and provide trainings for volunteers and organizations on an as needed basis.
· Represent Manavi at events, conferences and panel discussions as needed
· Provide project reports, budgets, and service statistics as needed
· Share in administrative duties, such as filing, record keeping and participating in the coordination of 24 x 7
· Help coordinate and participate in organizational events such as annual dinner and national conferences
· Participate in organizational events such as annual dinner, marches and parades, trainings, and community
· Perform additional duties as required
HOW TO APPLY:
Send resume/CV and cover letter, to firstname.lastname@example.org with “[Your Name]: Advocate-I” in the subject line. Please send your application materials in PDF format
Medical and Dental Benefits
Level of Language Proficiency
Manavi is looking for proficiency in at least one of the following South Asian languages - Hindi, Gujarati, Bengali, Telugu, Tamil, Kannada, Malayalum.
Minimum Education Required