Details: Comm with experience
WQXR is the #1 classical radio station in the United States, reaching millions of listeners monthly via terrestrial radio, digital streaming, and social media. Our mission is to create a movement that redefines what classical music is, invites a larger, more diverse audience into its magic, and fortifies cultural and performing arts institutions here in New York, and nationally, by inspiring our audience to leave their phones and see music live.
We will do this by bringing our strengths in curation and story about classical music to digital platforms, continuing to evolve our radio programs, and expanding our portfolio of live events, talks, festivals, and concerts.
What we are looking for:
You should be eager to learn new things with the capacity to take on challenging projects with an “I can figure this out” attitude, but that doesn’t mean you’re expected to know it all. You should have an interest and passion all types of music and the various ways modern consumers discover, consume, and share it. The qualities we value the most in our candidates are curiosity, organization, and persistence..
Your Future Team:
Our digital team is constantly iterating, solving problems, and working to create immersive and delightful digital music experiences for our existing and new audiences. Our music team is a group of music obsessives, audio engineers, storytellers and producers who bring the joy of music to our stations and streams 24/7/365.
What you can expect:
Reporting to the Lead Engineer, Websites & Apps, you will build web and mobile platforms that integrate journalism, culture and media contributed by local and national shows, reporters and a dedicated participatory community. You will work as part of an agile team to support WNYC, the nation’s largest public radio station, as well as WQXR and such national shows as Radiolab, Freakonomics, On the Media and Studio 360.
So what does that look like?
- Design and develop new software applications and maintain our existing ones.
- Develop interfaces for the web and mobile apps based on graphic designs.
- Maintain, improve, and extend current web site features and architecture.
- Working closely with the lead developer, drive the technical design and architecture for a subset of our web services and platforms.
- Write and maintain technical documentation on applications, processes and workflow.
These are the tools and skills you’ll need to get started…
- 5-7 years professional experience in software development
- Excellent object-oriented programming ability with experience across multiple language paradigms
- Experience leading the technical design and architecture for complex technical challenges.
- Experience with test driven development preferred
- A strong ability and eagerness to teach oneself new skills with minimal hand-holding.
- Ability to work autonomously and in a team with limited direct supervision.
- Experience and proficiency in Linux, Postgresql, git, bash, Django, and caching systems like Memcache, Varnish
- Experience with Amazon Web Services (EC2, S3, Route 53, ELB, and others)
- Experience providing JSON-based RESTful web services.
- Familiarity with version control systems like git, hg, or bazaar
- Proven ability to meet deadlines with acute attention to detail and to work on several projects concurrently
- A public github/gitorious/launchpad/etc portfolio
- Open-source project participation preferred
- Excellent communication skills
- Bachelor's degree in computer science preferred but not required
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter, resume and salary requirements by clicking the following link: