Opportunity: Social & Behavior Change (SBC) and Innovations Advisor
Location: Lusaka, Zambia
Compensation: Competitive within the non-profit industry;
Work Authorization: Candidates must already be authorized to work in the local country of job
Who We Are
ideas42 has a clear mission: to use our unique experience as a nonprofit at the forefront of behavioral science to change millions of lives. We create innovative solutions to tough problems in economic mobility, health, education, safety and justice, consumer finance, energy efficiency and international development. Our approach is based on a deep understanding of human behavior and why people make the decisions they do. Working closely with our partners from government, foundations, NGOs and companies, we have more than 80 active projects in the United States and around the world. Example projects include:
- Working with service and technical assistance providers to improve the quality of family planning and reproductive health services in Sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia
- Partnering with financial service providers throughout Latin America to help people follow through on their intentions to save, building financial resilience among vulnerable populations.
- Partnering at the federal, state, and local levels, ideas42 is helping governments apply behavioral science to programs to improve how they serve constituents. Projects range from increasing flu vaccine uptake to increasing SNAP recertification rates. ideas42 helped found and operate the White House's Social & Behavioral Sciences Team (SBST)
All team members play an active role on multiple projects across several domains at once. Diagnosing behavioral problems and designing behaviorally-informed interventions and products is integral to what we do. Given the startup nature of the organization, this is a rare opportunity for someone to experience and build the world’s premier behavioral research and design firm as an in-country expert.
This Advisor will lead key activities with overall responsibility for social and behavioral change (SBC) implementation. S/he will possess both deep applied experience in SBC, and demonstrated abilities in leadership; strategic thinking; application of best practices, gender integration and innovations in SBC. This role will be focused primarily on projects in South Asia and Sub-Saharan Africa, based in Nigeria or Rwanda with other potential locations for consideration. Job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Manage field projects across all stages and aspects of ideas42’s applied methodology including but not limited to problem definition, behavioral diagnosis, intervention design, implementation, monitoring, and impact evaluation;
- Cultivate relationships with a broad base of health system and development sector stakeholders: government, NGOs, implementing partners, and private sector partners;
- Serve as the day-to-day principle liaison for stakeholders and project partners and ideas42 project teams;
- Coordinate activities to improve alignment of SBC and supply-side programming;
- Provide strategic direction for SBC programming, while proactively engaging and convening a broad range of partners and implementers in advancing the practice of SBC in country;
- Develop full-scale project plans, structure and timelines;
- Assist/lead primary and secondary research such as surveys, interviews, and literature reviews;
- Contribute to knowledge management and dissemination of SBC programs in-country internally with consortium partners as well as with external stakeholders;
- Facilitate and support project execution for ideas42 project teams.
Who Are We Looking For?
Much of our work hinges on our ability to ask the right questions. As a result, we seek inquisitive, resourceful, analytical individuals with an entrepreneurial spirit. A passion for understanding human behavior, pursuing innovation, and promoting the social good is critical, but prior expertise or training in behavioral economics or psychology is not required.
Required qualifications include:
- Master’s or equivalent plus 8 years OR Bachelor’s with 10 or more years of relevant work experience
- Experience in global health programming, including experience providing technical guidance to large and complex activities primarily focused on SBC
- Proven ability to effectively engage partners, including host country government personnel and U.S. government agencies
- Experience working in Sub-Saharan Africa; Culturally aware with significant exposure to diverse cultures
- Available and willing to travel on a flexible schedule as needed (up to 50%)
- Mission-aligned, self-starter, and able to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Strong qualitative and analytical skills and working knowledge of statistics
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with a commitment to high-quality output
- Record of academic excellence
- Smart, logical and structured thinkers, who are also creative
Preferred qualifications include:
- Experience designing and managing integrated or multi-health area SBC activities
- Master’s or other advanced degree in public health, epidemiology, and/or social and behavioral science
- Proficiency in speaking, reading, writing, and translating accordingly in French, Swahili, or other languages
- A background in strategy, marketing, or product management & client-facing experience is a plus
- Experience living in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Knowledge of Stata or R
Minimum Education Required