1201 L Street Northwest
District of Columbia
Kids in Need of Defense (KIND) is an innovative partnership among the Microsoft Corporation, Angelina Jolie and other interested philanthropists, law firms and corporate supporters. As the leading national organization that works to ensure that no refugee or immigrant child faces immigration court alone, KIND is dedicated to providing pro bono representation as well as positive systemic change in both law and policy to improve the protection of unaccompanied immigrant and refugee children. KIND also engages in programming in Central America and Mexico to promote the best interests and protection of migrant children throughout the region. Launched in fall 2008, KIND is headquartered in Washington, DC and has 10 field offices across the United States.
Reporting to the Vice President of Finance & Operations the Finance Manager is responsible for supporting financial activities of the organization, including day-to-day financial transactions (AP/AR), accounting operations and reporting, and working as part of the Finance Team to generate and track budgets both for internal purposes and outside funders (in conjunction with members of the senior leadership team). Position with work closely with the Finance and Operations team to create and improve systems, processes, and policies in support of KIND’s mission and vision.
EDUCATIONAL & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
At least 5-7 years of collective experience as well as a Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting or related field required. CPA desirable.
- Demonstrated experience working in a nonprofit with a mix of funding sources;
- Thorough understanding of nonprofit accounting and Generally Accepted Accounting Standards (GAAP);
- Affinity for and ability to analyze numbers;
- Detail oriented with excellent organizational and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively;
- Ability to handle multiple tasks, perform well under pressure, prioritize tasks and meet deadlines and objectives;
- Adept at presenting complex financial information in a clear manner to various audiences including senior management, staff members and others;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate diplomatically in a diverse, multi-cultural environment;
- Proficient in the use of QuickBooks and Microsoft Office.
- Familiarity with Generally Accepted Government Auditing Standards (GAGS) is desirable.
Commensurate with education and experience.
Vice President of Finance & Operations
- Oversee multiple fund budgets for 10 regional offices, track balances, and communicate fund balances to Managing Attorneys on an ad hoc and quarterly basis;
- Act as the primary contact for 150+ KIND staff regarding professional development monies, including tracking balances and communicating these to staff as requested;
- Provide support to field sites by ensuring their office-wide systems are up-to-date and effective;
- Allocate and code revenue in accounting software and process bank deposits in a timely manner;
- Manage KIND’s reimbursement platform, including but not limited to: creating accounts, streamlining processes, processing claims, creating organization-wide policies, and paying staff in a timely manner;
- Support the financial reporting, budgeting, invoicing, and compliance of a $9.M+ option-year, federal subcontract that funds the operations and legal staff of 9 regional field offices;
- Support the financial reporting of state and local grants including timesheet reporting, reimbursements, and invoices;
- Review timesheets and communicate with staff to fix discrepancies in order to leverage the management of grants and maintain compliance with organization-wide practices;
- Analyze financial data in accounting, payroll and reimbursement platforms for reporting as well as tracking and creating internal budgets;
- Manage the Staff Accountant with QuickBooks entries and the collection of missing documentation from staff as needed;
- Assemble property tax returns, state and sales tax registrations and other required forms;
- Provide feedback and assist with proofreading and editing of contracts;
- Update accounting manual and create financial policies that are current and aligned with GAAP;
- Manage business credit cards, reporting and approval systems;
- Review end of month accounting journal to ensure accuracy in account, class and funder cost centers;
- Other duties as assigned.
Work is generally performed within the office environment and includes regular interaction via phone and email with KIND’s national team.
Position require no travel.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Applications, including a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and contact information for three professional references, should be submitted online at: https://supportkind.org/jobs/. Applications that do not contain all of the above-listed required materials will not be considered.
Applications should be submitted as soon as possible and will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Applicants selected for interviews will be duly notified. Please no inquiries or phone calls.
KIND is an EOE committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in both its staff and work. The selected applicant will be asked to undergo a background check before acceptance of the final offer.