Who We Are
FIRST® is the world’s leading youth-serving nonprofit advancing STEM education and the development of holistic skills to prepare young people for the future. For 30 years, FIRST has combined the rigor of STEM learning with the fun and excitement of traditional sports and the inspiration that comes from community through programs that have a proven impact on learning, interest and skill-building inside and outside of the classroom. This legacy and opportunity is as strong and dynamic as ever, as FIRST creates the people who will change the world – today and tomorrow.
About this Role
We are seeking an excellent communicator and strategic leader to be responsible for the overall strategy, management, and execution of all FIRST initiatives for a defined territory. This includes facilitating collaboration among Program Delivery Partners (PDPs) to ensure the quality delivery of the full progression of FIRST programs.
Our ideal Territory Leader in New England has the ability to lead through influence utilizing strong written and communication skills, has shown proven success in working with all levels of management in a problem-solving capacity, and strives to make a positive impact on the overall strategic mission of FIRST.
In return, we promise a fast-paced, challenging, and rewarding environment where you will be part of a team that cares about each other and thrives on each other’s successes. You’ll feel good about the future of the world after doing hard work with the talented people at FIRST and will have a front row seat to our life changing programs.
Reports to: Director, Domestic Field Operations. This role is remote with a strong preference for the candidate to be based in the Greater Boston area.
· Acts a primary liaison between FIRST headquarters (based in Manchester, NH) and PDPs throughout the six New England states, ensuring open communication and alignment.
· Leads and manages territory direct reports (ie: employees of FIRST headquarters, if applicable) with a dotted-line relationship to FIRST Senior Mentor(s) and VISTA Members (if applicable), ensuring full alignment with and consistent execution of the organization’s mission and goals.
· Responsible for convening PDPs, FIRST Senior Mentor(s) and VISTA Members (if applicable) to ensure consistency and alignment in operational goals, messages and territory initiatives while identifying and improving cross-program opportunities.
· Represents and advocates for the needs of the territory/PDPs and is knowledgeable in the application of resources available through FIRST headquarters.
· Is well versed in all FIRST programs, working with the appropriate PDP to address specific program needs in the territory.
· Cultivates relationships with local policy makers, chapters of professional organizations (such as ASME, IEEE, SWE), school administrators, community leaders, universities, etc. to build awareness and support for FIRST.
· Ensures adherence to FIRST policies and practices, in addition to documentation and sharing of best practices across the organization
· In conjunction with the local PDPs, develops strategic and operational plans for a defined territory, setting the goals, leading the execution, measuring the results, deploying the learnings, and identifying the operational opportunities for creating a more cohesive local ecosystem.
· Leads and implements comprehensive plans for the following:
o Consistent delivery of high-quality programming which expands access and increases participation, through in- school- and out-of-school-time engagement of youth as measured by team growth, school penetration, students reached, and participant satisfaction.
o Sustainable acquisition of primarily unrestricted revenue streams, both earned and contributed, through team growth, sponsor engagement, grant procurement and development of other earned income opportunities.
o Engagement of policy makers and educators to facilitate wide adoption of and financial support for the full progression of FIRST programs across a diversity of youth-serving institutions and organizations.
· Responsible for coordinating data and reporting on the activities of the territory as requested by FIRST management and/or as required by FIRST policies.
· Builds and fosters an inclusive, professional work environment that promotes and values collaboration, trust, teamwork, empowerment, integrity and diversity in which communication is open, staff willingly help each other, conflicts are quickly resolved, agreed-upon standards are respected and where individual and shared accountability are understood to be required for success.
· Serves as an advisor to Executive Directors of 501(c)3 organizations in the territory and may act in the capacity of Executive Director as needed with accountability to both FIRST headquarters and a local Board of Directors.
Qualifications and Experience:
· Bachelor’s Degree Preferred; minimum of 6 years directly-related experience, including at least 2 years supervisory experience
· Strong business acumen with experience in strategic planning and business management required
· Proven success in working with all levels of management in a problem-solving capacity
· Ability to successfully facilitate conflict resolution with a win-win outcome
· Ability to lead through influence utilizing strong written and verbal communication skills
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office productivity and collaboration tools preferred, including
· Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams, and SharePoint
· Experience in a technology organization and/or national nonprofit organization is beneficial
· Experience in a decentralized, matrixed organization preferred
· Previous FIRST knowledge and experience are very strongly preferred
· Flexibility to travel 10-50% depending on the time of the year
Commitment to FIRST® Core Values:
Discovery: We explore new skills and ideas.
Innovation: We use creativity and persistence to solve problems.
Impact: We apply what we learn to improve our world.
Inclusion: We respect each other and embrace our differences.
Teamwork: We are stronger when we work together.
Fun: We enjoy and celebrate what we do!
Thriving on our core values, celebrating the uniqueness of our employees and committed to inclusion. Proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Who We Are
FIRST® is the world’s leading youth-serving nonprofit advancing STEM education and the development of holistic skills to prepare young people for the future. For 30 years, FIRST has combined the rigor of STEM learning with the fun…