The Equal Rights Center (ERC) is a nonprofit organization that advances civil rights in housing, employment and public accommodations in its home community of Greater Washington D.C. and nationwide. The ERC conducts investigations using civil rights testing to identify unfair and unlawful discrimination, and uses data from civil rights testing to educate, advocate and, when necessary, to enforce the law. In order for the organization to be successful in advancing its mission, there must be a solid foundation of administrative and financial management in place and responsive to its needs.
The ERC is seeking a full-time Administrative and Finance Coordinator to support its administrative, financial and human resources operations. This position reports to and works primarily with the Director of Finance & Administration (DFA). Even though the successful candidate will provide occasional administrative support to the organization’s other staff, please note that the core of this position’s work is focused on ensuring the organization’s operational success and therefore it is not program focused. To be successful in this role, the Administrative and Finance Coordinator must be a highly organized self-starter with solid computer skills. Although the Coordinator will work under the oversight and guidance of the DFA, s/he/they must also be able to work independently in order to be successful with the following responsibilities.
Location: The ERC is following public health guidance and requirements from local government regarding precautions related to the COVID-19 pandemic. Currently, our expectation is that even though most ERC employees remain working remotely, this position requires regular work in the ERC’s office near Union Station in Washington, DC. This will increasingly be the case as a return to in-office work becomes more widespread.
- Monitoring/answering the ERC’s main phone line(s), including routing intake calls. Escorting all visitors to and from the office building’s main lobby;
- Monitoring/answering their own email, and the monitoring/routing email in the general organizational inboxes to which they’ve been assigned, in a timely manner;
- Handling all office mail; scanning new mail to appropriate staff’s online folders; ensuring all physical and scanned electronic mail parcels are distributed appropriately. Going to the post office to send mail when necessary;
- Sourcing and purchasing office supplies and/or equipment upon DFA’s approval. Comparing tracking slips and purchase orders to original orders. Following up with vendor(s) on any missing or incorrectly shipped items;
- Assisting with quarterly board meeting preparations, (including printing and e-mailing board packets, disseminating financial documents and sourcing catering options). Recording Board minutes during quarterly meetings and preserving records in ERC files;
- Assisting with the ERC’s various annual events (including purchasing supplies, restocking en-suite bathroom and sourcing catering options); assisting with day-of event preparations; attending events to provide support as needed;
- Assisting with office filing and document retention procedures; communicating with off-site storage facility; coordinating file inventory transfers to and from off-site storage facility as necessary;
- Managing the organization’s various calendars, including Directors’ calendars, and assisting with scheduling as requested;
- Making travel arrangements for staff as requested;
- Assisting with employee on-boarding and off-boarding;
- Disseminating staff paperwork, following up to ensure all paperwork has been received; filing paperwork appropriately;
- Providing cyclical reminders to staff about key paperwork and payroll deadlines.
- Sending invoices to billing contacts via Quickbooks or similar programming in accordance with deadlines;
- Preparing/delivering bank deposits to the ERC’s financial institution;
- Preparing check requests and obtaining signatures from DFA in preparation for vendor payments;
- Entering transactions into Quickbooks in using the accrual-based accounting method, in accordance with GAAP. Assisting DFA with the preparation of quarterly financial reports.
- Maintain electronic and paper records of ERC financial transactions via our electronic/physical filing systems, accounting systems (Quickbooks and Bill.com) and MS-Excel-based tracking logs;
- Assist with yearly audit preparations by ensuring that both electronic and physical files are in order throughout the year. Participate in audit field work by providing documentation to DFA as requested.
- B.S. or B.A. plus one to two years of relevant work experience. Candidates who have not completed a four-year degree, but have acquired three or more years of administrative and bookkeeping experience will also be considered.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products;
- At least one year of experience with accounting software (QuickBooks, PeachTree, Sage, etc.) is a must for this position.
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills, including the ability to work with and communicate effectively in writing and orally with a diverse group of people;
- Proven ability to problem-solve, along with a high degree of flexibility and initiative;
- Strong attention to detail, commitment to accuracy and meeting deadlines, and ability to follow strict organizational protocols closely.
- Solutions oriented attitude, enthusiasm for teamwork, and commitment to work/life balance;