The Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion reports directly to the Head of School; is a member of the Senior Administrative Team and the Administrative Forum; chairs the Committee of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion; and is charged with informing the Academy’s strategic direction in areas of school life that pertain to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
In collaboration with members of the Senior Administrative Team and other administrators, faculty, and staff members:
- Reviews and refines annually Thayer Academy’s Diversity Plan, including the associated Strategic Plan for Racial Equity and Justice.
- Promotes discussion and implementation of multicultural and inclusive curricular programs across both divisions.
- Plans, develops, and markets diversity and inclusion-focused programs and events for students and families as well as professional development workshops and programs for faculty and staff.
- Ensures effectiveness and success of recruiting and retaining diverse faculty and staff.
- Recruits and supports students from diverse backgrounds and implements and reviews mentoring programs for those students and their families on an annual basis.
- Acts as liaison to the various diversity and inclusion-related groups in the school.
- Networks with diversity coordinators at other independent schools as well as leaders of relevant organizations.
- Pursues professional development opportunities and attends conferences and professional meetings to remain current with diversity and inclusion issues.
- At the request of the Head of School, assumes responsibility for special projects that relate to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Consistent with other administrators, assumes other important responsibilities which result in broader engagement in the life of the school while still dedicating time to devote to the aforementioned areas.
- Master’s degree and significant professional experience in matters related to diversity, equity, and inclusion, ideally in independent schools.
- Collaborative approach to responsibilities coupled with excellent organizational, writing, speaking, and relevant technology skills.
- A pronounced passion for DEI work and a demonstrated record of high purpose and initiative.
Carney Sandoe & Associates is managing this search on behalf of Thayer Academy. Those interested in applying for this position should submit a cover letter and resume to Search Consultant Lawrence Alexander: email@example.com