About the American Dream School
The American Dream Charter School serves grades 6-12 in the Mott Haven section of the Bronx, targeting English language learners and immigrant students. The mission of the American Dream School is to develop academic excellence in both Spanish and English, preparing students to excel in college and become leaders in their communities.
About the Position
The American Dream School is seeking a fully bilingual (Spanish/English) motivated, goal-oriented Spanish Teacher. This is an exciting opportunity to be part of building a school committed to serving English Language Learners and cultivating bilingualism and biliteracy. The Spanish Teacher will operationalize our vision for student success by strategically aligning available resources to meet school-wide needs and advance ADS’s mission in the following key areas: core instructional programs, comprehensive behavioral support services, and expanded learning opportunities. The Spanish Teacher will ensure that ADS fulfills the promise that we have made to our community - to become bilingual, bicultural and biliterate leaders in our community.
The ideal candidates are excited about taking on new challenges. They constantly seek to understand how they can improve their craft because they know that the better they get, the deeper the impact they will have on student achievement. They seek to ensure that all students can and will have college as a viable option. They have demonstrated a strong passion for deeply impacting our communities, country, and world. They acknowledge that all stakeholders, especially our families, are partners in student achievement. They are committed to being a partner, who will work hard to stay in constant communication, assume the best, be open and honest, seek to understand not always to be understood, and give and take constructive feedback and support. Ultimately, they understand that time is a precious resource, but we make time to find joy and excitement in what we do each and every day.
Reports to: Head of School/Principal
- Bilingual Spanish/English
- Bachelor’s degree in Spanish or related field, Master's preferred
- New York State Teaching Certification 7-12 or Special Education 7-12 is required
- Strong organizational, data tracking, and analysis skills
- Maintain confidentiality, meet deadlines, complete assignments with consistent accuracy
- Tech-savvy; familiarity and experience with Microsoft Office, Gmail, Google docs/drive
- Effective verbal, writing and listening skills
- Deep sense of urgency; Results-driven and Goal oriented
- Flexible and open to feedback; desire for continued professional learning and growth
- Implement and support in the development of a rigorous cutting edge Spanish & Foreign Language program that develops scholars as problem solvers and analytical thinkers.
- Develop and teach clear and engaging lessons that follow the rigorous, Common Core aligned American Dream curriculum
- Hold students accountable for high behavioral expectations and implement American Dream’s behavior management system with consistency
- Utilize formal and informal assessment data to drive instruction and ensure student mastery of standards using Illuminate Education, our assessment platform.
- Implement a co-teaching model consistently to best support student learning needs.
- Promotes a sense of urgency in learning
- Assist in the distribution, collection and grading of tests and homework assignments
- Create meaningful interim assessments that will help drive instruction and prepare students for success on the Regents Exam
- Maintain accurate records and create reports
- Build a warm and inclusive classroom environment, implementing the practices of Responsive Classroom
- Accept ultimate responsibility for the academic progress of his or her students, and work to actively overcome setbacks
- Serve as an advisor to a group of students to support their academic and non-academic growth and development
- Provide advisement that supports college and career readiness for all students, including programming students to meet the requirements of obtaining a Regents diploma and the Seal of Biliteracy.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for the parents/guardians of your advisees
- Collaborate with grade team teachers to plan and facilitate community meetings and develop a strong advisory curriculum
- Motivate reluctant learners to complete assignments
- Complete intervention documents for advisees that are at risk of having their promotion in doubt
STUDENT SUPPORT SERVICES
- Prepare reports on student academic performance for staff and/or administrators
- Tutor and assist students individually or in small groups
- Create annual goal for students’ IEP
- Implement and track progress of annual goals of students’ IEPs as it pertains to your content area
- Write progress reports (Present levels of Performance) for students as requested
- Participate in yearly IEP conferences
- Establish appropriate goals and implement modifications for each student, as needed
OTHER PROFESSIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES
- Teach one section of an elective course, credit recovery or serve as advisor for a student club
- Actively participate in grade-level meetings, collaborative planning, and professional development, including an annual Teacher Academy
- Participate in teacher-parent conferences regarding students’ progress or problems
- Supervise and manage students in all spaces and during transitions, upholding ADS core values, rules and policies
- Instruct, maintain, and monitor students in the use and care of equipment and material
- Assist with breakfast/lunch duties, as needed
- Actively participate in opportunities to strengthen her/his own pedagogical skills as well as contribute to the learning of colleagues
- Contribute to the school’s smooth and efficient operation by fulfilling required administrative duties, responsibilities, and maintaining open and proactive communication with colleagues
- Create and maintain bulletin boards to showcase student work
- Engage in a minimum of two peer observations per month and provide written feedback
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
Pay: $44,467.00 - $110,416.00 per year