The Advocacy Coordinator will work as part of the Action Against Hunger Lebanon Mission to develop strategic advocacy and contribute to the overall programs of Action Against Hunger in the country.
To operationalize the advocacy strategy for Lebanon, establish relevant collaborations for its implementation and ensure the coherence with organizational new ways of working and global initiatives
- Represent Action Against Hunger in high level fora in Lebanon
- Guide advocacy strategy development and priority setting for aforementioned working groups, ensuring views of Action Against Hunger are represented and included
- Responsible for advocacy initiatives when appropriate, in multiple programs as well as co-coordinating advocacy work for Action Against Hunger for both the the Bekaa and South
- Responsible for advocacy campaigns when appropriate, in multiple programs as well as co-coordinating advocacy and communication work for Action Against Hunger for Lebanon.
- Guide strategic direction of advocacy initiatives for Action Against Hunger including actively seeking funding for these through proposal development
- Provide strong support to the field teams with regards to the implementation of the new ways of working of the organizations by consolidating the linkage between advocacy and operations department (MP1)
- Ensure the coherent contribution of the mission Advocacy Strategy to the global advocacy initiatives of the Action Network Against Hunger
Conduct research and lobbying on root causes of vulnerabilities faced by our beneficiaries/right holders and by the mission in the discharge of its humanitarian mandate. and action.
- Work closely with Action Against Hunger Bases, sectoral Technical Coordinators, and MEAL Coordinator to conduct field visits in areas of operation verify generate evidence on practices, humanitarian needs, responses implemented, and remaining gaps to feed evidence-based advocacy.
- Monitor closely relevant humanitarian and policy issues, including media reports, surveys, statistical reports, databases and relevant literature, as needed for the production of reports and background/position papers.
- Actively contribute to the analysis on the development of mission Comms and Advocacy products to utilise for external purposes
- Undertake strategic lobbying on policies and practices based on Action Against Hunger generated findings and experiences by engaging with relevant stakeholders. Identify the key linkages among Action Against Hunger programming, root causes of vulnerabilities and potential consequences of deterioration of the humanitarian situation in Lebanon.
- Support the Bases in implementing, at the local level, advocacy initiatives and operationalization of the advocacy strategy and action plan.
- Analyse political and normative frameworks affecting humanitarian situation in Lebanon
Tasks To liaise with external stakeholders and headquarters to ensure collaboration in the development and implementation of advocacy work for the Lebanon mission
- Mapping of key stakeholders and conducting regular power analysis to identify direct and intermediate targets.
- Liaison, networking and building relationships with donors, UN and diplomatic community in Lebanon as requested and under overall supervision of the Country Director.
- Work closely with Advocacy desk in headquarters, under overall supervision of the Country Director, to develop advocacy initiatives, messaging and materials in line with advocacy priorities in both headquarters and Lebanon mission.
- Production of advocacy materials for use by Action Against Hunger HQ and ensure that Lebanon Mission Advocacy priorities are fed back to headquarters in line with organizational mandate.
To contribute oversee the mission Comms strategy and roll out
- Manage the mission Comms officer and ensure Advocacy – based validation of all external products developed by the mission
- Ensure quality and guidance on the production of key mission publications and visibility items
- Establish exchange of information between MEAL unit, advocacy team, technical/program units and Information management considering different levels: activities/project; project/mission
- Manage and oversee the mission Communications and Visibility budget
- Provide regular updates to Country Director to inform appropriate decision making processes.
- Prepare a yearly action plan for implementation of the strategy to be broken down into weekly/monthly activity schedule
- Prepare quarterly advocacy reports on implementation of the strategy
- Feed into the development of the quarterly SitRep
- Those duties inherent to the position and requested according to mission needs and context.
- Inform logistics of any security problem encountered in the implementation of the advocacy activities.
- Participate in the updates of security plans and adheres to the adopted measures.
- Coordinate activities with the technical and support teams of Action Against Hunger in Lebanon.
Training and Education:
- Master degree in law or any other related field
Technical specific knowledge:
- A demonstrated understanding of relevant areas of international law, in particular of international humanitarian law, excellent analytical skills and the capability to work in a precise, structured and detailed manner.
- Must have strong drafting and verbal communications skills; research and analytical skills; ability to manage competing deadlines and priorities.
Previous experience (years):
- Minimum 4 to 5 years’ relevant professional experience in advocacy and communications;
- Good knowledge of the Lebanon context. Previous working experience on the Middle East is desirable.
- Proven experience of influencing skills to achieve policy change
- Proven track record of achieving international media coverage, both traditional and new media
Humanitarian sector knowledge:
- Motivation and commitment to humanitarian work according to organizational mandate
- Minimum 4 to 5 years of experience working in humanitarian and/or development aid
- Experience of complex humanitarian and protection contexts
- Solid understanding of the global dynamics: Triple Nexus, CT measures, Grand Bargain….
- Demonstrated experience of active participation / coordination of Humanitarian INGOs Platform
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and coordination skills and an ability to work independently and as a part of a team to deliver under tight deadline
- Demonstrated leadership and supervisory skills
- Good capacity for creative thinking and creative production
- Solid understanding of the political and humanitarian context of Lebanon and the Syria Crisis
- Proven interpersonal and networking skills with international organizations and donors
- Strong negotiation skills and capacity to promote consortiums and partnerships
- Well organized, professional and rigorous
- English compulsory, Arabic desirable.
Mobility (national/ international)
- International with ability to travel and stay overnight in the Bases (Tyre, Zahle)
Valuable prior experience in issues related to the promotion of gender equality or personal commitment to gender equality.