Details: Education and experience will determine compensation level
1525 Newton Street, NW
Words Beats & Life (WBL) is a non-profit, hip-hop organization with a mission to: advocates for the transformative power of Hip-Hop culture in all its forms, empowering artists to relentlessly create and refine systems that demonstrate positive change through our individual and collective brilliance. We embrace the sacred nature of our work and our roles as keepers and innovators of our culture. The Development and Communications Associate reports to WBL’s Executive Director (“ED”) and provides fundraising, development and communications support to advance WBL’s mission.
FUNDRAISING AND DONOR DEVELOPMENT (70%)
• Collaborate with ED, Board Treasurer to implement and refine annual fundraising plan.
• Cultivate relationships with existing donors, through writing, calls and in-person meetings.
• Support the ED’s and Board’s fundraising efforts: help identify potential donors and provide support and materials to facilitate effective donor-centered fundraising.
• Assist in special event planning and execution.
• Help develop, plan and execute Giving Tuesday / End of Year giving campaigns.
• Maintain donor records and effectively utilize donor database. Oversee system for timely donation processing and acknowledgment.
• Maintain volunteer database and current email and mailing lists.
• Assist ED in editing government, corporate and private foundation funding proposals.
• Help maintain consistent communication with donors through assistance with e-mail updates, newsletters, blog posts and annual reports.
• Help implement WBL’s social media strategy and digital content.
• Maintain updated media and press lists. Maintain files on press hits.
• Research and secure strategic speaking opportunities and media placements for WBL.
• Speak publicly about WBL at community and educational events, as appropriate.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
• Bachelor’s degree required.
• Ideally two years nonprofit or community fundraising experience required.
• Passion for and deep understanding of WBL’s mission and work required.
• Excellent written, editing and oral communication skills.
• Welcomes respectful giving and receiving of feedback and constructive criticism.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested applicants should e-mail a cover letter, resume, three references and a two or three short examples of your fundraising / communications work to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Development and Communications Associate” in the subject line of your email. We will then email you a short application to complete. NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE.
Words Beats & Life is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly value a diverse workforce and inclusive culture for all employees.
Position will be open until filled
This is a contractor position.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required