P.O. Box 65323
Polaris is a leader in the global fight to eradicate modern slavery. Named after the North Star that guided slaves to freedom in the United States, Polaris acts as a catalyst to systemically disrupt the human trafficking networks that rob human beings of their lives and their freedom. The communications team translates the work we do to the outside world. We tell the story of what makes Polaris unique and also the story of human trafficking overall – what it is, what it isn’t – and how we can all be a part of the solution. We touch every department at Polaris, supporting, adding value and collaborating with corporate, celebrity and nonprofit partners to spread what we know, and make it matter.
Polaris is seeking a versatile, proactive team player to help us tell the story of the work we do to a range of outside audiences through both earned and social media.
The right candidate thrives in a fast paced-environment and can juggle multiple projects at once. A typical day may include researching media targets for a pitch, responding to numerous incoming media requests and systematically reaching out to other teams across the organization for ideas about social media content that highlight their daily work.
- Craft strategies, research media markets and pitch stories to local and national media networks;
- Regularly collect and assess data and analytics across a variety of digital platforms for the purpose of making recommendations for expanding or improving both public image and online presence of Polaris;
· Manage day-to-day press inquiries and requests, including directly answering questions, or setting up interviews with Polaris experts;
· Draft or edit press releases, statements, fact sheets, and talking points;
- Research journalists and/or media outlets, prepare background information;
- Work with the communications team to identify strategic priorities, organizing and pitching them to media;
- Track and disseminate day-to-day media coverage on Polaris, the National Human Trafficking Hotline, and the issue of human trafficking;
· Conduct media research and build upon existing database systems;
- Develop content for the Polaris’s social media channels, blog, website, and other online properties;
- Manage the backend of Polaris-operated websites, assisting staff in posting new content on a regular basis;
· Assist with communications projects and administrative tasks, as needed.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
This job description provides a summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by individuals in this position. Incumbents may be asked to perform other tasks not specifically written in this job
· A minimum of two years of experience working in the field of Communications and/or Public Relations in a nonprofit environment;
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
· Demonstrated understanding of traditional and new media;
· Strong commitment to human rights;
· Strong interpersonal skills and organizational skills;
· Experience, competence, and confidence working independently and as part of a team;
· Ability to balance multiple priorities at once; and
· Eagerness to be creative and take initiative.
· Oral and written fluency in Spanish
· Experience working in the field of anti-trafficking
• Internal: Ability to communicate with supervisors and peers;
• External: Frequent contact with donors, consultants, law enforcement, corporate partners, service providers public and private government agencies.
• Typical office setting
• Prolonged sitting, chiefly at a computer terminal;
• Occasional bending, stooping and stretching;
• Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a computer, telephone, calculator, and other office equipment;
• Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to record, prepare, and communicate in writing, in person and by phone; and
• Requires occasional lifting up to 25 pounds.
Polaris offers a robust and competitive benefits package to include 403b match up to 4%, medical, dental, vision, paid time off etc.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required