Officer, Media Relations and Strategic Communications
- Job posted by ICLEI - Local Goverments for Sustainability
Full Time Contract
ICLEI - Local Governments for Sustainability is the leading global network of over 1,500 cities, towns and regions committed to building a sustainable future. By helping the ICLEI Network to become sustainable, low-carbon, ecomobile, resilient, biodiverse, resource-efficient, healthy and happy, with a green economy and smart infrastructure, we impact over 25% of the global urban population.
To support the Global Communications Team we are offering the following position:
Officer, Media Relations and Strategic Communications
The Officer, Media Relations and Strategic Communications will be part of the Communications Team at the ICLEI World Secretariat based in Bonn, Germany. The Communications Team is responsible for strategic global communications that reach a diverse global audience.
The ideal candidate is someone who is plugged into and actively engaged in the global conversation on climate change, sustainability, clean energy and the environment,
In addition he/she knows the global and regional media landscape(s) and has a keen eye for spotting potential opportunities as well as risks and is able to react quickly and effectively.
- Develop a media strategy and concept for ICLEI global communications that leverages the media potential of the organization.
- Identify and capitalize on opportunities to harmonize and connect the global media strategy with regional offices.
- Develop and execute media strategies for key ICLEI global projects.
Relationship building and outreach
- Foster relationships with target media and journalists.
- Grow and maintain the database of media contacts.
- Act as the first point of contact for media partners and journalists interested in reporting about ICLEI and its Members.
- Develop and distribute pitches and press releases to a full range of media outlets, including national, regional and local television, print and radio media.
- Rewrite and repackage technical messages into compelling content that is of interest to specialized and mass media.
- Provide ICLEI spokespersons with training on how to handle media inquiries and interviews.
- Evaluate and report on media activities, revising the overall strategy in accordance with results.
- Conceptualize and execute press conferences and events in coordination with World Secretariat Team Leaders and Management.
- Provide strategic guidance and input as part of the Global Communications Team.
- At least 5 years of relevant communications experience in an international environment, with a proven track record in media outreach.
- Impeccable written and verbal communication skills and native or near-native command of the English language. Proficiency in another language is considered as a strong asset.
- Degree in journalism, communications, environmental policy, urban planning, international relations or similar or a strong interest and proven experience in communications work in the realm of sustainable development.
- Strategic mindset and politically savvy, able to navigate the complexities of a global multi-stakeholder organization with efficacy and openness.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite considered an additional asset.
- Ability to quickly synthesize information and build connections among a variety of thematic working areas.
- Ability to transform technical concepts into media-worthy communications products.
- Ability to guide and consult in strategic communications and messaging.
- Creative, motivated and proactive attitude and approach.
- Organized working style, ability to follow through and deliver results.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team-oriented atmosphere.
Terms and conditions:
The position is available immediately at the ICLEI World Secretariat in Bonn, Germany. The planned duration is for at least one year. The position is within ICLEI’s Communication Team, and the Officer, Media Relations and Strategic Communications will report to the Head of Global Communications.
ICLEI is offering an annual salary of 31,500 - 40,167 EUR before tax and social insurance fees for the full-time position. The final salary will be determined based on the chosen applicant’s skills and experience.
· Workings hours: 40/week
· 30 days of paid leave per year for a full-time position.
· Working language: English
· Due to legal requirements, applicants must be eligible to obtain an appropriate work permit for Germany prior to the start of the position.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
By email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Officer, Media Relations and Strategic Communications” in the subject line and send us:
- A letter of motivation
- Your recent CV (3 pages at most)
- 3 written work samples
- Indication of possible start date
- Indication of citizenship (and if non-EU, whether you are holder of a work permit for Germany)
Deadline for application: 16 April 2018
Please note that applications received after the deadline cannot be considered.
In order to support the evaluation via interview, shortlisted candidates will be required to undergo a written test relevant to the job content prior to the interview.
Kindly note, that applications are reviewed continuously upon arrival, therefore submitting your application as soon as possible is advisable.
The ICLEI World Secretariat shall only contact those applicants shortlisted for this position.