The Alliance is seeking a part-time Communications Associate to support the organization’s communication and branding goals through storytelling, content creation, social media, fundraising, and marketing support. An ideal candidate is a skilled and creative writer, deadline-driven, organized, resourceful, flexible, self-motivated, eager to gain non-profit and communications experience, and committed to advancing social justice. Part of the Development & Communications team, the Communications Associate will report to and support the Director of Communications. This role provides a unique opportunity to support communication efforts across both philanthropic and program/partner audiences, and to work cross-functionally with various teams within the organization — development, policy, and legal client services.
For a three- to five-month period, the Associate will supply crucial coverage during the Director of Communications’ maternity leave. The Associate will be hired before the start of the leave to allow for ample training and preparation. This is a non-exempt, part-time paid position, 30 hours maximum per week, beginning June 15, 2021.
About The Alliance: The Alliance for Children's Rights is a nonprofit organization that provides free holistic legal services and advocacy to youth and families impacted by child welfare and juvenile justice systems in Los Angeles County, and works to enact policy changes statewide. Our lawyers, advocates, and social workers, together with hundreds of pro bono attorneys and community volunteers, work to ensure that those we serve have the tools to overcome barriers to stability and success, and access to the education, healthcare, and financial supports that they need. Since 1992, we have helped over 150,000 children. For more information visit: www.allianceforchildrensrights.org.
Content and Digital Support:
• Research and draft engaging content or copy for the Alliance’s blog, email communications, and printed publications (e.g. annual impact report, brochures, fundraising materials, etc)
• Support updates to the website to ensure resources, news, and events are up-to-date (allianceforchildrensrights.org, stepupforkin.org, laoyc.org)
• Social media: design, compose, and schedule posts on Alliance channels (Instagram, twitter, facebook, linkedin); maintain calendar; analyze metrics and make recommendations based on data, collaborate with Director of Communications to grow exposure and engagement
• Support branding, copywriting, graphic design, and collateral creation needs for various programs and departments within the organization
Fundraising and Event Support:
• Support marketing and promotional needs for key Alliance fundraising events.
• Aid in drafting and planning fundraising appeal content
• Provide copyediting support to members of development team as needed
• Attend and participate in staff meetings and communications-related interdepartmental meetings,
• Daily support: general communications department tasks including, but not limited to, scheduling, coordinating with media vendors, print/production planning, website updates, etc.
The Ideal Candidate Will Possess:
• Strong writing and editing skills and good story telling instincts
• Excellent communication and listening skills
• The ability to maintain brand and institutional voice
• A proactive, highly organized, self-motivated work ethic, with a willingness to learn and the flexibility to adapt to a fast-paced and changing environment
• An enthusiasm for the Alliance’s mission and programs and strong commitment to improving outcomes for underserved children and young adults.
• 1-2+ years of relevant experience or study in marketing, digital media and/or communications
• 4-year degree in communications, journalism or other applicable field preferred
• Non-profit and development experience is a plus
• Experience crafting, packaging, and scheduling messages for social media (Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, etc), with digital analytics tools a plus.
• Experience in Mailchimp (or comparable email marketing platform)
• Experience with WordPress
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
• Basic graphic design and layout experience is preferred
• Basic knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign) is preferred
• Basic video editing skills (plus)
• Familiarity with project management platforms or software is preferred (e.g. Basecamp, Asana, Hive, etc)
• Photography or video experience is a plus
This job description is of a general nature and is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties of the position.
This position will temporarily work remotely due to Covid-19. You may be asked to return to work at the Los Angeles office at any time at the Alliance’s discretion.
The Alliance is seeking a part-time Communications Associate to support the organization’s communication and branding goals through storytelling, content creation, social media, fundraising, and marketing support. An ideal candidate…
To be considered, please send a resume, cover letter, and link to digital portfolio with writing or design samples to firstname.lastname@example.org; Subject: "Communications Associate Application – [NAME]" (e-mail submissions only/no phone inquiries). Responses will be sent only to individuals meeting the outlined qualifications of the position. Salary is commensurate with experience. Benefits include vacation and sick leave policies, and health, dental, vision, and life insurance plans.
The Alliance for Children’s Rights is committed to building and supporting a culturally diverse and inclusive environment that values all staff members’ backgrounds and perspectives in our work. We strongly encourage individuals from all traditionally underrepresented communities to apply. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. We are an Equal Employment Opportunity employer, and prohibit discrimination against employees or applicants because of race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, veteran status, or any other unlawful basis.
To be considered, please send a resume, cover letter, and link to digital portfolio with writing or design samples to email@example.com; Subject: "Communications Associate…