Reports to: Director of Resident Services
Status: Full-time, Exempt
APAH is a non-profit affordable housing developer that works throughout the DC region. APAH’s mission is to develop, preserve and own quality affordable places to live; to promote stability and opportunity for our residents; and, to advocate with the people and communities we serve. APAH is a mission driven, community minded and resident focused organization guided by six core values: compassion, integrity, collaboration, innovation, excellence, and impact. We house over 3,700 residents in 1,800 units in Arlington and have another 700+ units in development throughout the Metro DC region.
APAH’s Resident Services Program promotes opportunity and independence for APAH residents through a combination of strategic programming (onsite and virtual) and community partnerships. APAH’s Resident Services focuses on housing stability, economic development and mobility, health and wellness, and population-specific services (children, youth, parents, seniors). Enhancing racial equity is a primary driver in our service approach and goals.
The Resident Services Coordinator/Manager (RSC/M) is an integral and collaborative member of the Resident Services Team actively supporting residents to live stably in their housing, and to thrive in the community. Differing from traditional case management roles, APAH’s RSC/M’s core responsibilities include a combination of duties that fall into four main areas: (1) Empowering residents with information, referrals, and resource navigation; (2) Identifying and securing opportunities for impactful, culturally-inclusive, and resident-informed programming; (3) Engage in community collaboration and systems-level advocacy; (4) Supporting Resident Services and agency objectives toward inclusive and empowered communities.
The overarching goals for this position and Resident Services Team are:
- Promote resident economic stability and mobility by building on their unique assets.
- Initiate, identify and implement programs and services that help build healthy communities and enrich a resident’s quality of life.
- Support residents housing stability by ensuring they have information and opportunities to succeed in upholding lease obligations, including being financially positioned to pay rent on time, partnering with property management to care for their home, and establishing positive neighbor relations in high-density, multi-family environments.
- Serve as a resource, partner, and advocate for residents to access the resources needed to live stably, advance, and thrive.
- Foster culturally inclusive, welcoming, and safe communities for all residents.
- Identify and assist resident engagement in leading, advocating and shaping our mission delivery and larger systems that impact their lives.
Role Specific Responsibilities
Empower residents with information, referrals, and resource navigation
- Provide workforce solutions counseling services to APAH Residents.
- Identify, assess, select, develop, and provide supportive linkages with partnership referrals and local service resource agencies related to employment services, employment referral, or other career/employment building services.
- Welcome new residents (and establish connections with existing residents) to introduce them to the resident services program, and the role of the RSC/M. Conduct opportunity and needs assessments, surveys, and provide support to access resources successfully, as appropriate.
Identify and secure impactful, culturally inclusive, and resident-informed programming
- Plan and deliver (directly or via partnership agreements and volunteers) impactful, culturally inclusive, and resident-informed programming.
- Serve as lead liaison for partner agencies offering workforce or career-building services for residents.
- Lead or assist with service projects, resident community events, holiday programs and other resident services events as assigned.
- Handle all logistics for regularly scheduled and special programs, including room set up, provision of food and childcare when needed, coordination and communication with partners and attendees.
- Report on program results, including quantitative and qualitative data to track and report outcomes in agency database
- Create rewarding volunteer and partner experience including meaningful work, appreciation, positive interaction, clear directions, and safe and comfortable environments.
Engage in community collaboration and systems-level advocacy
- Help to facilitate resident meetings and community-organizing.
- Facilitate and foster inclusion and non-discrimination in the resident community.
- Advocate for APAH’s residents at community meetings and events.
- Identify, select, and launch learning opportunities that widen access for our residents to achieve economic mobility, including those utilizing technology as solutions to barriers.
Support Resident Services and Agency Objectives
- Participate fully in agency meetings- Resident Services Team and supervision, All Staff, and assigned committees and workgroups.
- Complete data entry, documentation, and reporting in a timely and accurate manner.
- Lead or participate in Team projects such as resident satisfaction surveys, program evaluation, new property assessments. Actively engage in cross-departmental projects to bring resident voice, triumphs, experiences and needs.
- Three+ years of experience in human services and/or housing-focused direct services.
- Master’s degree in Social work preferred, B.A./B. S in social work, education, human services counseling, or similar field required.
- Background in providing and facilitating social services preferred. Experience with employment, workforce solutions, economic mobility for underserved and low-income populations.
- Bilingual fluency in English and Spanish strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated community engagement/collaboration skills and team player.
- Proficiency of Microsoft Office application with an emphasis on Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- Proficiency in data entry and quality assurance.
- Ability to organize and facilitate resident meetings and events.
- Strong organizational and communication skills and attention to detail
- Outgoing, empathetic, good sense of humor and team spirit a must
- Access to a vehicle for onsite visits and meetings.
- Passion for the APAH mission of providing affordable housing and improving the lives of residents.
Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full-time, exempt position. Resident Services Coordinators are salaried, 40-hour per week positions, Monday-Friday, with regular evening hours two-three times per week (7:00pm/8:00pm). Occasional weekend support required for special events/programming.
- This is not a desk job. Applicant will be on his/her/their feet and moving at walking speed for prolonged periods of time for resident services events.
- Project management includes using hands to type, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls, talking to and hearing residents on the phone and reading documents.
- Regularly lift and/or move up to thirty (30) pounds, for food distributions or programs.
- Owning and operating a car required to travel to support APAH events across multiple properties.
Special Note/Working Conditions during COVID Pandemic:
- While some of this role can be performed remotely during the COVID 19 pandemic, this is a front-line position that requires providing services on site APAH properties, and with safety precautions followed, interacting with residents and volunteers.
Salary and Benefits
$45,000 - $62,000 annually. Title and salary commensurate with experience. APAH has a competitive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision insurance, long and short-term disability insurance, life insurance, commuter benefits, 401k, and paid leave. Our corporate office in Ballston features free parking.
Equal Opportunity Employment
APAH offers equal employment opportunities (EEO) to employees and applicants for employment and prohibits unlawful discrimination and unlawful harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other protected classes or categories as defined by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment including, but not limited to recruitment, selection, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leave of absence, training program participation, compensation and all other terms, conditions and privileges of employment.
How to Apply
Please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.