Details: Commensurate with experience
712 North Wells Street
J-1 Program Manager
- Department: Greenheart Exchange, J1 High School Programs
- Type of Position: Full-time, permanent
- Start Date: Asap
- Hours: Monday – Friday, 9:00am – 5:30pm
- Location: 712 N. Wells Street, Chicago, IL 60654
Greenheart International is a non-profit committed to connecting people and planet to create a more peaceful and sustainable global community. We achieve this through a unique and diverse collection of programs fostering cultural exchange, eco-fair trade, volunteerism, personal development and environmentalism. Greenheart encompasses four main branches: Greenheart Exchange, Greenheart Travel, Greenheart Shop, and Greenheart Transforms.
Greenheart International was recently named the Best Education Abroad Provider at the 2018 Global Youth Travel Awards!
Within Greenheart Exchange, the High School Programs Department has J-1 visa designation by the U.S. Department of State to bring international high school students to the United States on a cultural exchange program that allows them to live with an American host family and attend high school for 5-10 months. Greenheart Exchange’s J-1 High School program is dedicated to extending the mission of cultural understanding, environmental consciousness, and world peace by connecting enthusiastic international students and American host families. As the only non-profit, eco-conscious J-1 visa sponsor, we pride ourselves on providing a quality experience by encouraging and enabling Greenheart Exchange staff, participants, Local Coordinators, and host families to work together on projects that promote environmentalism and sustainability.
What we’re looking for:
The High School Programs Department is looking to hire a Program Manager who will work with international sending partners and regional staff to manage pre and on program support of high school exchange students and assist in the everyday administration of the office and program.
Some things you might do as a Program Manager:
- Learn and understand application intake process for a dynamic and engaging exchange program for high school students coming to the U.S. for 5-10 months
- Utilize our custom database and maintain student records in the Department of Homeland Security Student Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS)
- Facilitate the lines of communication across the US and the globe between Greenheart Exchange, its representatives and international partners including the simultaneous management of multiple stakeholder expectations in a fast paced and changing environment
- Regular mediating, crisis management, and problem solving with students, host families, our field network and international sending partners
- Assisting in the development or revision of Greenheart Exchange procedures, policies and program materials.
Some qualifications you should have:
- Bachelor's degree from a four-year college or university
- Minimum of two years of administrative experience and/or customer service experience
- Possess a great deal of tact and diplomacy and ability to resolve conflicts that may arise
- Outgoing, flexible personality with a willingness to learn; applicant should be an exceptional team player, proactive, diligent, positive and a creative self-starter
- Efficiency with data entry and a keen eye for detail
- Ability to work independently and as a team player
- Talent for organizing and prioritizing multiple tasks
- Strong leadership skills
- Comfort and aptitude learning new software and understanding work flow processes
- High level of general computer skills and Microsoft Office Suite proficiency
- Ability to communicate professionally and diplomatically over the phone, via e-mail, and in person
- Genuine desire to contribute to an organization that promotes cultural exchange and environmental consciousness
- Experience living or working in another country or an international setting is a plus
- Previous knowledge and understanding of the SEVIS system and exchange visitor visas is ideal but not required
Compensation: Commensurate with experience
Minimum Education Required