Associate Director of Teaching and Learning Enhancement
About Generation Rwanda/Kepler
Generation Rwanda (GR) launched in 2004 and has since supported a number of young people in Rwanda in achieving their higher education goals through scholarships for universities throughout the country. In 2013, GR expanded its reach when it started Kepler, a nonprofit university program designed to reinvent higher education with a lens on readiness for 21st century careers. We aspire to be among the first organizations to demonstrate at scale that it is possible to provide excellent learning and employment outcomes to students at a low cost.
To achieve this goal, Kepler is building its academic model around the demanding, practical needs of employers. We deliver the skills that businesses seek through hands-on learning that combines world-class online content, high-quality in-person coaching, and extensive real-world work experience. To date, we have more than 550 students on our two Rwanda campuses - in Kigali and in Kiziba Refugee camp.
Currently, all Kepler students earn their degrees through our degree partner Southern New Hampshire University and that will continue to be a key part of the Kepler model. In parallel, we are working on developing a Bachelor’s degree provided by Kepler and accredited in Rwanda. This new degree would be offered in Rwanda as well as in two additional countries over the next few years.
About the position
The Associate Director of Teaching and Learning Enhancement is responsible for supporting the key areas of Quality, Standards and Accreditation. The role will implement the accreditation process in accordance with the established standards, policies, and procedures set by the Rwandan Ministry of Education and Higher Education Council. This role will also partner with the academic leadership team in finding ways to continuously improve Kepler programs. The Associate Director of Teaching and Learning Enhancement is a new role at Kepler so a successful candidate will get to take initiative to help define and shape the role. They will also need to work closely and collaboratively with another new role, Associate Director of Academic Studies who will work on the curriculum creation aspect of the new degree.
- Build relationships with the government and higher education institutions and represent Kepler as needed
- Research the requirements for accreditation in Rwanda and future countries, including standards, policies, procedures, and other expectations and map out the information in an easy-to-consult format
- Support and coordinate all aspects of the accreditation process for Kepler academic programs and degrees, including all project planning and project management
- Ensure timely execution of accreditation operations while preserving high quality and professionalism. This includes preparing and editing materials for accreditation applications and other reports, support with accreditation meetings and visits, and conducting quality assurance reviews
- Assesses the quality of courses and assessment methods and recommend all needed new assessments to meet accreditation and program approval standards or requirements
- Support high quality student learning by assisting academic programs in meeting their defined learning outcomes, developing assessment strategies, and encouraging a culture of learner-centered education
- Provide ongoing suggestions for quality process improvement; interact with students and staff to identify opportunities to improve quality
- Other tasks as assigned by the Academic Campus Director
- Master’s degree
- Experience working with the government on accreditation and quality assurance
- Knowledge of accreditation standards
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment
- Willing to experiment, try things out, fail fast, and learn constantly
- Communication skills; both written and oral English
- Very detail-oriented
- Receptive to feedback and able to give clear and honest feedback
- Experience in competency/project based learning
- Experience in preparing accreditation applications
Reports to: Academic Campus Director
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required