Details: Up to $10,000
Madre de Dios
CONSERVATION IMPACT CONSULTANT (Project mid-term review and impact evaluator consultancy)
The Andean Amazon maintains large tracts of intact forest, however, increasing deforestation is a critical problem and monitoring and responding to deforestation in a timely, accurate, and effective way is a core problem for forest users, policymakers and law enforcement.
Amazon Conservation and Conservación Amazónica-ACCA’s innovative program focused on advancing the emerging field of near real-time deforestation monitoring in the Peruvian Amazon seeks to tackle these challenges through, 1) timely analysis of deforestation alerts and high-resolution imagery to identify current patterns and drivers of deforestation (http://maaproject.org), and 2) providing forest users, land managers, law enforcement and other actors on the ground in Madre de Dios, Peru with technical and legal tools to identify and act on illegal deforestation activity.
Amazon Conservation is seeking a consultant (whether an institution or an individual) with deep expertise in impact assessment of conservation projects to conduct a mid-term review of our NORAD funded project as required per our agreement. The main purpose of this consultancy is to measure through an independent evaluation the changes that can be attributed to the project using efficiency, effectiveness, impact and sustainability criteria. The evaluation will be based on the most updated Results Framework submitted to NORAD and will cover the period from May 2016 to June 2018. Interested parties should send a proposal following the guidelines below by October 31 2018. Applicant must have technical, legal, and logistical capacity to conduct work in Peru, including Madre de Dios.
The main goal of the consultancy is to assess if Amazon Conservation and Conservación Amazónica-ACCA’s are achieving the expected results as planned in the most updated Results Framework and to collect information on the perception of key stakeholders about the main goals and effectiveness of the project. By the end of the consultation we expect to receive a series of recommendations aimed at improving Amazon Conservation and Conservación Amazónica-ACCA’s efforts to collect and document this initiative’s impacts and any other suggestion that may strengthen the project outcomes and ensure sustainability over time. The consultant is expected to hold interviews with key project stakeholders in Peru, review the project’s results framework and verification documents in order to assess if the project is on track regarding its indicators and if it’s reaching its intended results
Project duration and location
The work will be based in Lima and Madre de Dios, Peru, however, desk research and data analysis may occur remotely. Consultancy will last up to 6 weeks from the first day of work, date upon which all deliverables must be turned in.
Consultant may propose a budget up to a maximum of $10,000 for the deliverables described above, including implementation of all field activities and any desk/background research. The budget is inclusive of all personnel, travel, equipment, permitting, or other items required to implement the activities described here.
- Must hold a postgraduate degree in conservation, social research, Project Management, Program Evaluation, or any other relevant field;
- At least 10 years of experience performing impact evaluation of projects, with a particular experience in biodiversity conservation;
- Prior impact assessment experience is required;
- Excellent communication skills necessary for building rapport with stakeholders;
- Fluency in written and spoken Spanish is required;
- Availability to travel to Peru, both to Lima and Madre de Dios;
- Computer literate (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
Other Desired Qualifications
- General background and experience in the Amazon and with forest conservation issues
- Prior experience in the region is an added advantage.
- Excellent written and verbal skills in English.
Level of Language Proficiency
Spanish - fluent
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Applicants must submit a proposal with the following information:
- Curriculum Vitae (max 2 pages)
- Summary of the applicant’s qualifications including background, history, capabilities, and experience related to the RFP (max 1 page)
- Work plan with (max 1 page):
- Deliverables, with draft and final submission timelines
- List of tasks to be performed, linked to deliverables and a timeline
- Three most recent reports or midterm reviews completed by the consultant
Please send proposals by October 31 2018. Proposals (excluding mid-term report examples) should be no longer than 4 pages, using font size 12 and 1.5-line spacing.
Additionally, applicants must provide written responses to each point in the “Eligibility” section of this call. Applications should be submitted by email to email@example.com with the subject line "RFP third party evaluation." Applications will be accepted until October 31, 2018.
Questions may be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org until October 25, 2018 with the subject line “RFP third party evaluation Questions.”
PLEASE REVIEW FULL JOB POSTING DESCRIPTION TO SEE DELIVERABLES, ELIGIBILITY, AND OTHER KEY INFORMATION, BEFORE APPLYING.