1200 New York Avenue Northwest
District of Columbia
Who We Are
"The advancement of science should be the chief concern of a nation that would conserve and increase the welfare of its people."
-James McKeen Cattell, former AAAS President and Editor of Science
The American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) is an international non-profit organization dedicated to advancing science for the benefit of all people. For over a century, AAAS has been a force for science, from helping to establish science as a credible field in the 19th century to using satellite imaging technology to document human rights abuses in 2007. We are recognized as the world’s largest general scientific society and the proud publisher of the Science family of journals. Past presidents have included astronomer Edward Charles Pickering, anthropologist Margaret Mead, and biologist Stephen Jay Gould. Our mission is centered on the belief that STEM research and education can help solve many of the challenges the world faces today.
AAAS is a culture steeped in history, but adaptive to change and new ideas. We recognize the hard work of our employees and encourage the development of our staff. Our colleagues represent an array of expertise from scholarly publishing to digital marketing, educational research to government relations, all with a shared focus on mission. At AAAS, you are part of a talented team, dedicated to advancing science and serving society.
Work with Us
We have an exciting full-time opportunity for a Digital Producer to join the Digital Media Department in our Washington, D.C., office. Reporting to the Managing Web Producer, this individual will play a critical role in curating, producing, and promoting content online.
This position ensures that sciencemag.org is curated with current, relevant, data-driven stories, with high-quality imagery and web-friendly headlines. On a regular basis, in close collaboration with other departments and Digital Media’s design, photo, graphics, and video teams, this individual will produce articles and other types of content as needed. The Digital Producer will also help drive the creation and implementation of new online elements, including styles, functionalities, and multimedia capabilities. This individual will contribute to the efforts of the team’s Social Media Producer as well, assisting in posting, monitoring, and otherwise overseeing content as needed on the organization’s largest social media accounts.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
· Curate carousels, nodequeues, and side rails on sciencemag.org
· Produce online news features, quizzes, photo galleries, and other types of content as needed, working closely with other departments and teams to plan and design
· Use page view analytics to inform curation decisions, optimize content presentation, and track user behavior
· Write and schedule social media posts for Facebook, Twitter, and other social sites as relevant
· Monitor and moderate feedback on our social accounts, elevating issues as they arise
· Work to develop skills in web design and interactives
· Additional duties as assigned
· Undergraduate degree; science or journalism background a plus
· Experience using content management systems such as Drupal or WordPress
· Basic knowledge of HTML
· Basic knowledge of Adobe CC products, particularly Adobe Photoshop
· Familiarity with a variety of social media sites, especially Facebook and Twitter; experience assisting with a social media presence professionally a plus
· Proficiency in Premiere or other video editing software a plus
· Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
· Ability to quickly read and accurately summarize scientific news and research to write clear, accurate, and engaging headlines and social media posts
· Good judgment, to be applied in the selection of content for online presentation and promotion, as well as for monitoring and moderating social media posts
· Superior skills in coordination, interdepartmental collaboration, and planning
· Excellent multitasker able to handle competing projects and deadlines under pressure
· Awareness of current trends in online journalism, web design, and social media
· Comfort with quantitative analysis, including the ability to identify metrics for tracking success of various campaigns, content types, page elements, etc.
Interested candidates should submit a resume, cover letter, and work samples or a link to portfolio by May 10, 2018. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. If we think you might be a good fit for the role, we will contact you with next steps.
Visit https://www.aaas.org/ to learn more about what we do
Find our latest job opportunities at: https://www.aaas.org/page/employment-aaas
AAAS is an EEO employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or other protected category. AAAS uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees.
Minimum Education Required