We are seeking a Data Engineer to join our data team. The ideal candidate has prior experience directly related to building out strong data pipelines – everything from discovering and vetting new data sources to visualizing data in creative ways aligned with strategic objectives. This is a highly autonomous environment, where the Engineer will work to improve analytic capabilities as well as organizational impact evaluation. This individual will also work closely with the IT lead to ensure uniformity and security across resources.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Build robust data pipelines within AWS, streamline current methods and enhance efficiency.
- As part of these pipelines, streamline data sharing amongst team members and partners.
- Clean, structure, and integrate data sources related to prevalence and program measurement:
- Seeking out and vetting additional data sources.
- Connecting the dots between complex data sets.
Data & Analytics
- Design tailored, professional analytic products and visualizations for internal and external use.
- Clearly communicate data implications and assumptions both internally and externally.
- Assist in fostering and managing relationships with external data partners and vendors.
- Strong alignment with The Network’s core values (Courage, Excellence, Diversity andHumility).
- Strong alignment with The Network’s operating principles (It’s not about us; Partnership is scale; Fortune favors the bold).
- Unquestionable integrity.
- Ambitious and initiative – this position will often involve projects without clear deliverables.
- Cheerful, humble, and candid in communicating with colleagues.
- Entrepreneurial spirit who enjoys brainstorming innovative ideas and implementing creative solutions.
- Collaborative and service-oriented.
- Detail-oriented and excellent time management.
- Strong relational skills and can clearly communicate across all data-related topics.
- BS in Mathematics, Engineering, Data Science, or similar field.
- At least 2-4 years of relevant work experience related to data engineering, data science and/or data architecture:
- Strong experience in data mining and scraping.
- Experience in Python and/or R, especially libraries such as Pandas, NumPy, and Spacy.
- Database design and management (MySQL preferred).
- Familiarity with AWS Services, especially related to data pipelines (S3, Athena, RDS, EC2, Lambda).
- Critical thinking skills, both quantitative and qualitative.
- Has demonstrated solid leadership.
- Experience with data intelligence tools (e.g., Tableau) and link analysis software preferred.
- Experience with Elasticsearch a plus.
- Familiarity with Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) or Impact Evaluation methodologies a plus.
Reports to: Director of Data and Analytics