ABOUT COOL CULTURE
Founded in 1999, Cool Culture is a New York City based nonprofit that seeks to amplify the voices of families and strengthen the power of historically marginalized communities through engagement with art and culture, both within cultural institutions and beyond. The organization currently partners with 50,000 diverse families, more than 400 Early Childhood Centers and Department of Education schools, and 90 cultural institutions in New York City. Through this collaboration, Cool Culture promotes arts and culture as a means to build awareness and inclusion, strengthen family engagement and early childhood education, and activate leadership in our communities.
We are a small and resourceful team that wear multiple hats, understand the importance of being agile and nimble in achieving our mission, and seek clear direction while also being comfortable with ambiguity.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Cool Culture seeks a Program Assistant/Coordinator who will be responsible for coordinating school enrollment and family registration, professional development workshops, and data collection from cultural institutions. This role will report to the Assistant Director of Programs and Program Manager.
A successful candidate demonstrates the following attributes: exceptional project management skills; strong time management skills and ability to manage multiple deadlines; effective collaboration with a growth mindset and a genuine openness to feedback; and knowledge of social justice principles.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
The Program Assistant/Coordinator will be involved in multiple components of Cool Culture’s programming and will work directly with all members of the program team. In consultation with the Program Director, Assistant Director, and Program Manager, the Program Assistant/Coordinator will support the program team to:
School Enrollment and Family Registration
- Coordinate annual school enrollment and family registration ensuring that all partner schools receive Cool Culture Family Passes and corresponding materials in a timely manner; also ensuring that school payments are submitted on time and in full
- Refine center application materials as necessary to reflect annual enrollment criteria and program outcomes
- Build relationships and communicate regularly with school staff and the general public; providing information and answering questions about our programs and processes
- Amass knowledge of early childhood education, arts, and social justice, including conducting research on programs that are similar to Cool Culture
Program Execution and Evaluation
- Coordinate logistics of and prepare materials for our professional development workshops for educators and our workshops for families
- Communicate regularly with program participants over email and over the phone; supporting with ongoing evaluation processes
- Coordinate catering orders with vendors and cultural institutions
- Procure workshop materials and art supplies; organize a small team of volunteers to support with material assembly as needed
- Assist in the coordination of a large-scale family event co-hosted by Cool Culture with a cultural institution partner, including promotional and outreach efforts, supply purchase and assembly, and volunteer recruitment
- Collect and analyze information about Cool Culture family visitation to cultural institutions to support evaluation
As a valued member of the Program team, the Program Assistant/Coordinator will contribute to other programs and projects as needed.
- Bachelor's Degree or commensurate experience required
- 2+ years experience in the nonprofit field
- Exceptional project management skills, including a proven record of successfully implementing complex initiatives
- Spreadsheets, organization, and data take you to a happy place
- Strong judgement and an ability to prioritize efficiently with minimal supervision
- Strong writing, interpersonal, and communication skills
- Ability to juggle multiple projects at once with a strong attention to detail
- Excellent command of Microsoft Office and Google Apps
- Enjoys working as part of a team to improve quality of projects, ensure that projects are mission aligned
- Social justice, arts and culture, and education interests
- Database experience (a plus)
- Familiarity with Adobe Illustrator or other design software (a plus)
- Bilingual in Spanish and/or Cantonese/Mandarin (a plus)
Cool Culture is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and People of Color are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is open until filled. Competitive salary commensurate with experience and excellent benefits package included.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
READY TO APPLY? Please send, to email@example.com: An email with the subject line “Program Assistant/ Coordinator (Your Name).” Please include as attachment(s), your resume and answers to the following questions (Please number your responses according to the question number).
1. Tell us about a time when you had to juggle multiple time-sensitive projects. How did you organize your work and determine what to prioritize? If you’re reporting to more than one manager, how would you prioritize your duties? Max: 200 words
2. Describe a time that you improved a process or a system. How did you partner with colleagues internally as well as any external stakeholders to ensure the best result? Max: 200 words
3. Describe the process you typically follow to make a decision about a plan of action. Think about an occasion when you needed to choose between two or three seemingly equally viable paths to accomplish a goal. How did you make your decision about the path to follow? Max: 200 words
4. Please share your salary requirements.