Position Title: Senior Accountant, Sponsored Projects & Funds
Location: New York, NY
UWho We Are
Rockefeller Philanthropy Advisors (RPA) is a nonprofit organization that currently advises on and manages more than $400 million in annual giving by individuals, families, corporations and major foundations. Continuing the Rockefeller family’s legacy of thoughtful, effective philanthropy, RPA remains at the forefront of philanthropic growth and innovation, with a diverse team led by experienced grantmakers with significant depth of knowledge across the spectrum of issue areas. Founded in 2002, RPA has grown into one of the world’s largest philanthropic service organizations and, as a whole, has facilitated more than $3 billion in grantmaking to nearly 70 countries. RPA also serves as a fiscal sponsor for more than 90 projects, providing governance, management and operational infrastructure to support their charitable purposes. For more information, please go to 34TUwww.rockpa.orgU34T.
Who We Seek
We seek an experienced accounting professional that will be proactive, self-directed, with the ability to work in a stand-alone role and as part of a team, and who sets a high standard for themself and their work product. Candidate should demonstrate commitment to RPA’s values of integrity, diversity, quality and trust.
The Senior Accountant is responsible for providing accounting and financial reporting services to Rockefeller Philanthropy Advisors and its clients. This individual will interact with the Sponsored Projects & Funds (SP&F) team on an on-going basis to ensure all financial matters are addressed and both internal and external reports are accurate and distributed on a timely basis. The responsibilities include:
Financial Reporting and Accounting Functions
- Prepare financial reports to external funders for sponsored projects in accordance to the deadlines stated on grant agreements. This includes reporting to US federal agencies and overseas government bodies.
- Assist on completing funding requests and grant applications for sponsored projects, include preparing budget proposal and responding to clients’ inquiries on budgeting and forecasting.
- Support the lead SP&F Senior Accountant and communicate closely with the Finance Team to fulfill requests from clients and funders.
- Prepare various financial reports as required by sponsored projects on a continuing and/or ad-hoc basis, including cash flow reports, burn-rate analysis, financial analysis and projections, and other custom financial reports. Generate internal management reports as needed.
- Generate, review, and distribute monthly, quarterly and annual budget-to-actual financial statements for sponsored projects. Perform general accounting tasks as necessary, such as reclasses and accruals.
- Ensure compliance with GAAP and accounting standards, as well as client contracts and agreements.
- Monitor revenue and expense tracking for sponsored projects. Review invoices and expense reports on NetSuite and Concur for proper coding to ensure accurate general ledger recording.
- Ensure grant compliance by reviewing the grant agreements, accounting practice and proper coding of revenues and expense to grants. Utilize and maintain a grant tracking system for sponsored project grants including, but not limited to, federal and international government grants.
- Assist with the preparation of schedules, analysis and other documentation for the annual financial statement audit, Uniform Guidance audit, Form 990 tax return, and other program-specific grant audits.
- Participate in the development and maintenance of RPA finance policy, internal control and procedure manuals.
- Cross train with other team members and act as the primary backup for the lead SPF Senior Accountant.
- Undertake various projects as assigned.
- Act as a direct liaison with sponsored projects on providing financial information and responding to inquiries promptly. Meet regularly and proactively with sponsored projects and the SP&F team to discuss finance-related items.
- Obtain a deep understanding of the missions and operations of sponsored projects, and stay up-to-date of their financial status for better client services.
- Work closely with SP&F team to assist clients with preparation of annual budgets, grant proposals, reports and other inquiries and requests. Support program advisors and project staff in enhancing understanding and utilization of financial reports.
- Provide training and professional advice to sponsored projects and other internal teammates on accounting concepts, on-boarding orientation, and other finance-related aspects.
Education: B.A./B.S. Degree in Finance, Accounting, or related fields. CPA preferred.
Experience: Minimum 4 years of related experience with similar responsibilities.
- Sound knowledge of GAAP. Understanding on nonprofit and fund accounting preferred
- Experience in financial analysis and budgeting preferred
- Tech-savvy and comfortable embracing new systems and tools
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel, including Pivot Table, VLookUp and other advanced functions
- Working knowledge of Netsuite, Vena SP&A tool, Fluxx, and Microsoft 365 preferred
- Working knowledge of fiscal sponsorship, post-award grant management and project management preferred
- Self-initiative and self-motivated with a strong sense of self-learning
- Strong communication and organizational skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and meet tight deadlines with quality deliverables
- Ability to adapt to fast-changing environment and remain flexible in a growing organization
- Can be a team player yet independent and proactive
Rockefeller Philanthropy Advisors offers a competitive compensation and benefits package including health coverage, retirement benefits, paid sick leave, vacation and holidays, tuition reimbursement and access to professional development resources.
Applications, which will be reviewed as received, must include a cover letter describing your interest and qualifications and your resume. Applications that do not include a cover letter will not be reviewed. Please Apply Here. Position open until filled.
No telephone calls, please.
RPA is an equal opportunity employer