Details: Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications.
40 West 116th Street
Education: Graduate Degree or 5+ years of relevant work experience
Location: New York, NY (Harlem)
Type: Full Time, exempt
Start Date: ASAP
StreetSquash is a youth development organization running programming in Harlem, New York and Newark, New Jersey. We function as one organization with two sites. StreetSquash aims to help each child realize her or his academic, athletic, and personal potential through long-term, rigorous programming in academic support, squash instruction, college prep, community service, and leadership development. StreetSquash serves 180 Harlem and 80 Newark public school students in grades 6-12, and another 120 students in college and beyond. 100% of StreetSquash participants graduate from high school and 94% matriculate to a post-secondary program. Once in college, StreetSquash students graduate at almost three times the national rate of students in the same demographic. Through high expectations and strong support, we help our students to achieve greatness.
Our team of fun, diverse professionals is committed to building deep relationships with our students and to giving each staff member meaningful responsibility in a cooperative working environment with support for everyone’s ideas. We do our best to foster personal and professional growth, not just in our young people, but in each other as well. StreetSquash is a healthy, growing nonprofit, looking for motivated, enthusiastic individuals to fill integral positions within the organization.
Learn more about us at www.streetsquash.org
About the Position
StreetSquash is seeking a charismatic Program Director (PD) for our Harlem site, with a passion for supporting young people and driving an organization that puts them on the path to achieving their goals. The Program Director will report to the Chief Program Officer (CPO). The position will begin ASAP.
- Oversee development and implementation of all programming (academics; squash; college access, success, and alumni support; social work) to ensure consistency, high-quality and mission alignment
- Develop a deep understanding of the components of each aspect of program, the skills necessary to perform each job well, and the appropriate standard of performance for each role
- Seek support and professional development in the areas in which the PD is not already an expert to ensure an ability to evaluate staff performance
- Observe and participate daily in programs, maintaining a consistent visible presence to students and staff
- In collaboration with the CPO and Newark PD, drive programmatic vision and ongoing program development including
- Maintaining student standards and performance benchmarks
- Developing additional strategic documents to guide programming and overall vision
- Creating/adapting programs to meet identified needs
- Ensure full participant enrollment and high attendance to achieve full space utilization and maximum impact; Lead recruitment efforts accordingly
- Maintain relationships with partner schools to ensure consistent flow of participants and integration into school community
- Evaluate partnerships with an eye on fit
- Meet quarterly with partner principals
- Seek new partnerships when necessary
- Coordinate all program logistics
- Daily scheduling
- Room and staff assignments
- Program calendar (with CPO and Newark PD)
- Hiring needs (with CPO)
- Participate in team meetings and department meetings to build a complete picture of how everything runs on a daily basis and look for patterns in student involvement, problems, gaps in program, etc.
- Engage program staff in relevant roundtables, brainstorms, and meetings to get feedback, gain buy-in, make decisions regarding programming, and focus staff on the mission and a problem-solving approach
- Lead ongoing Senior Staff meetings to engage in collaborative thinking and program alignment.
- Participate in ongoing Program Leader meetings to discuss programmatic growth; site alignment; make decisions regarding programming, staffing, trainings, etc; and collaborate on organization wide initiatives.
- Manage a team of 23 full-time and part-time program staff and directly supervise 4 senior department directors as well as the office manager
- In collaboration with CPO, support with talent management including:
- Recruitment and hiring of all program staff
- Full-time staff evaluation timelines
- Staff retention and appreciation initiatives
- Staff performance plan implementation and termination procedures where appropriate
- Conduct program staff evaluations with Senior program staff
- Oversee program budget in conjunction with CPO and Chief Operating Officer (COO)
- In collaboration with CPO and Newark PD, maintain and update procedure manual to reflect organizational and programmatic policies and approaches.
- Build positive staff culture and work environment
The Program Director will be in control of her or his daily schedule, but will be expected to oversee and be present at weekday and weekend practices and all special events. This individual sets the tone for hard work and commitment with a consistent presence in programs and willingness to work whatever hours are required. In short, the Program Director will be responsible for ensuring that StreetSquash Harlem continues to thrive and serve its constituents well. It is a unique opportunity for a talented and focused individual to lead an organization, become a community leader, and make a difference in the lives of youth.
- Graduate degree or Bachelor's degree with 5+ years of relevant experience. Degrees in Education, Non-profit Management, Social Work, or Counseling preferred.
- 5+ years of experience in a youth focused not-for-profit with 3+ years management experience, including managing teams of 5+ with proven success in staff development and strong coaching skills.
- 5+ years direct service experiences with middle and high school age students.
- Experience managing day-to-day operations, developing and implementing programs, developing partner collaborations and working with a range of community groups.
- Proven track record staying on top of multiple projects, planning backwards and anticipating obstacles, identifying and involving stakeholders appropriately, using resources wisely, being flexible and adaptable under pressure.
- Sensitivity to different cultures and communities. Works well with diverse or marginalized populations; can bring in allies across diverse communities.
Qualifications & Experience
- A strong collaborator who enjoys learning and developing best practices in partnership with a team.
- Able to use data to identify programmatic trends and develop responsive practices for improving programs.
- Able to strategize and think “big picture”.
- Clear and compelling in both verbal and written communications, enjoys motivating a team around a common goal.
- Strong executive presence and an ability to facilitate and lead meetings and trainings.
- Ability to establish and strengthen relationships with participants and partners.
- Capable of hiring, managing, and a leading a team of full-time staff, part-time staff and enthusiastic volunteers; proven track record in initiating and successfully leading groups or projects
- Ability to work effectively at all levels of the organization when needed, including as a squash coach, tutor, chaperone or more as needed; exhibits the gravitas, charisma and knowledge to be credible in all situations.
- Proven ability to make good, proactive decisions in potentially emotionally charged situations and/or in the absence of complete clarity; comfortable taking risks
- Passion for young people and enjoyment of spending time with them, coaching or tutoring them, and pushing them to set and achieve goals in all aspects of their lives
- Spanish proficiency is a plus.
Start date: ASAP
Commitment: StreetSquash values long-term, deep, impactful work with students. It takes years to cultivate strong, positive relationships and staff retention is a critical component of organizational success. This is not a transitional role or a stepping stone, and there are many ways to grow within the organization. Candidates should be prepared to commit to StreetSquash for the long haul.
Compensation & Vacation: Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications. Full benefits including employer-supported health coverage, 40 hours of sick time, 3 personal days, all DOE breaks (1 in December, 1 in winter, 1 in the spring) and 2 weeks vacation in the summer.
Application Process: Interested candidates should send a resume and detailed cover letter expressing your interest in this position to firstname.lastname@example.org and put Harlem Program Director Position in the subject line. We will be accepting resumes and cover letters for interested applicants until October 21st. Phone interviews will begin October 15th and in person interviews will begin October 29th.
Full benefits including employer-supported health coverage, 40 hours of sick time, 3 personal days, all DOE breaks (1 in December, 1 in winter, 1 in the spring) and 2 weeks vacation in the summer.
Level of Language Proficiency
Spanish, French - conversational. Not required.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Application Process: Interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com and put Harlem Program Director Position in the subject line. We will be accepting resumes and cover letters for interested applicants until October 21st. Phone interviews will begin October 15th and in person interviews will begin October 29th.