KIDS IN NEED OF DEFENSE (KIND)
California Policy Funding Associate
Background: Kids in Need of Defense (KIND) is an innovative partnership among the Microsoft Corporation, Angelina Jolie and other interested philanthropists, law firms and corporate supporters. As the leading national organization that works to ensure that no refugee or immigrant child faces immigration court alone, KIND is dedicated to providing direct and pro bono representation as well as positive systemic change in both law and policy to improve the protection of unaccompanied immigrant and refugee children. KIND also assists children who are returning to their home countries through deportation or voluntary departure to do so safely and to reintegrate into their home communities. In addition, we work to ensure the voices of these children are heard and we help them become their own advocates. Launched in fall 2008, KIND is headquartered in Washington, DC and has 10 field offices across the United States.
Overview: KIND seeks a California Policy Funding Associate to work in KIND’s San Francisco, California office to analyze, advice and advocate for state, city and local funding to provide legal services for unaccompanied children and to collaborate with California stakeholders to promote KIND’s state funding objectives on behalf of immigrant and refugee children. This position reports to the Vice President of Policy, Advocacy and Communications. The responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Advocate on funding and budget issues related to KIND’s mission and develop written products and messaging that appeal to California stakeholders, members of the state legislature and the administration.
- Collaborate with California organizations and other stakeholders that work on immigrant and refugee budget and funding.
- Provide strategic advice on state funding for issues of interest to KIND with a particular focus on increased funding for legal services.
- Regularly confer with KIND staff, particularly California staff, to identify needs and develop KIND’s positions on state funding.
Qualifications for the Ideal Candidate:
· Bachelor or Master’s degree in political science or related field.
· Minimum of 5 - 7 years’ experience in a state funding, legal or advocacy role.
· Significant knowledge and experience with California’s legislative, appropriations, budget and administrative process. Experience with California city funding preferred.
· Relationships with and ability to leverage key California individual and organizational relationships to meet KIND’s state funding objectives.
· Exceptional written and oral communication skills, ability to communicate well to a variety of stakeholders.
· Strategic thinker with the ability to anticipate challenges and address roadblocks in state policy as they arise.
· Passion for KIND’s mission of supporting unaccompanied immigrant and refugee children, and an ability to effectively communicate this to members of the California state legislature, stakeholders, institutes, organizations and influentials who possess a wide range of perspectives.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Nominations or applications, including a cover letter, resume, salary range requirements, writing sample and three references, should be submitted online at: https://supportkind.org/jobs/
Applications that do not contain all of the above-listed required materials will not be considered. Applications should be submitted as soon as possible and will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Applicants selected for interviews will be duly notified. Please no inquiries or phone calls.
KIND is an EOE committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in both its staff and work. The selected applicant will be asked to undergo a background check before acceptance of the final offer.