District of Columbia
R Street Institute
The R Street Institute—a free-market think tank headquartered in Washington, D.C., and with regional offices across the country––seeks to hire someone who is energetic and solutions-oriented to monitor and analyze our financial activities; coordinate required oversight and best practices; and support programmatic budgeting and financing strategies. The Finance Manager will be an integral member of a smart, creative, quirky and resourceful team. This position will report to the senior vice president.
R Street is looking for a candidate with a thorough understanding of generally accepted accounting principles, internal controls and budget and forecasting preparation. Candidates should also have an incredibly high drive to learn and take on significant responsibility. Beyond financial compilation and analysis, a qualified candidate will be able to insightfully apply financial tools, techniques and concepts to inform business decisions and drive business results for the organization. This is a brand new role so we are looking for entrepreneurial candidates who can apply business acumen to the nonprofit realm. The R Street Institute is a relatively young think tank experiencing rapid staff growth and scholarly output. This role will serve a vital function in our organization’s financial and regulatory oversight, and will support our overall business strategy.
● Work across teams to develop and improve organizational and programmatic budgets, forecasts and financial projections; and integrate new technology and systems that support these functions.
● Manage data and inputs from across the organization. Coordinate financial reporting as required by funding sources, state and federal regulations and best practices.
● Orchestrate regular financial closing processes.
● Manage external financial and accounting contractors.
● Work with operations team to monitor and enable cash disbursements.
● Conduct financial analysis which may include scenario modeling and risk assessment to inform growth strategy and strategic operational decisions.
● Develop financial presentations for executive team, board of directors and program teams.
Skills and Qualifications
You must have a strong working knowledge of accounting principles and the ability to create required financial reports. That said, R Street is passionate about our continued growth and we are drawn to people who are excited about the prospect of growing with us. We consider a diversity of educational and professional experience to be an asset. That experience may include:
● A Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration (MBA, CFA, CAIA, CPA, or CA).
● Two or more years of related experience in corporate or nonprofit finance.
● Two or more years working in a think tank, research organization or management consultancy.
Although we are headquartered in Washington D.C., this position does not require a full time DC presence (though semi-annual travel to DC would be required). Since you will be able to work from any location with little supervision, having an independently driven, positive, motivated and hard-working nature will ensure your success with us.
R Street strives to provide a compensation package superior to those at other think tanks and nonprofits. In addition to a highly competitive salary, we provide a health insurance option entirely paid by the employer (even for families); wellness benefit; employer-subsidized mobile phones benefit; 401(k) contributions with up to a four percent match; and an exceptionally generous vacation policy.
R Street does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, era of military service, gender identity or anything else that's illegal, immoral or stupid to use as a basis for hiring.
We currently plan to accept applications for this job until filled. Potential candidates will be contacted for telephone interviews, which will be conducted on a rolling basis. In-person interviews will be held in our D.C. office.
To apply, please send us a resume in Microsoft Word or PDF format, along with a cover letter pasted into the body of an email. The email address for applications is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Minimum Education Required