The Cloud Forest School is a bilingual, progressive PreK–11th grade private school located in rural Monteverde, Costa Rica. Our educational and institutional philosophy is founded in sustainability and economic justice. Ninety-five percent (95%) of our 200 students are Costa Rican, 5% are international students (generally from the US and Canada), and more than 70% of our local students receive deeply discounted tuition. Our staff of 42 is made up of half Costa Rican and half international professionals deeply dedicated to progressive, bilingual education. The elementary schools is a 50/50 Spanish/English dual immersion program.
The Cloud Forest School is proud to hire experienced, certified teachers from around the world. Our school year runs from early-August to mid June, with the option of working during summer programs in June and July. The start date for this position is July 23rd, 2018.
- Teaching multi-content in English (English, Science Math) to 1st grade for ½ the day and 2nd grade for ½ the day
- Positively collaborate with the partner 1st and 2nd grade teacher who teaches solely in Spanish.
- Provide an inviting, exciting, innovative, and challenging learning environment.
- Develop lesson plans that support language learning (ongoing professional development will be given in this area).
- Identify, select, and modify instructional resources to meet the needs of the students with varying backgrounds, learning styles, and special needs.
- Evaluate students' progress on a continuous basis.
- Engage in effective and appropriate classroom management, using positive discipline strategies.
- Involve families in the education process.
- Ensure that student growth is achieved.
- Maintain ongoing communication with the Sub-Director, Director and all CEC faculty.
- Set and monitor short, medium, and long term goals in all areas of responsibility.
- Maintain effective and efficient record keeping procedures.
- Prepare individual student achievement reports for parents.
Professional Community Commitments:
- Collaborate with other staff members to create meaningful community learning opportunities and community-based partnerships.
- Work effectively with parents, interns, and other volunteers.
- Actively participate in staff meetings and applicable professional development programming, along with school-based committees.
- Model professional and ethical standards when dealing with students, parents, peers, and community members.
- Meet professional obligations through efficient work habits such as: meeting deadlines, honoring schedules, and coordinating with school faculty.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- A certified teacher with previous experience managing an elementary school classroom (not exclusively TESOL, TEFL, TOEFL, etc.)
- Native English Speaker with Basic Spanish Knowledge
- Experienced in progressive education
- Willing to make a multi-year commitment
- A team player, willing to collaborate across grade levels and disciplines
- Willing and eager to grow as a person and a professional
- Positive and adventurous
- Bilingual (Spanish/English)
- Local Salary
- Enrollment in the National Health Insurance System (CAJA)
- Work Visa Sponsored
National Health Insurance, Work Visa Sponsored, Aguinaldo Bonus, Heavily Discounted Tuition
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
We can be reached at email@example.com