5235 West Belden Avenue
Christopher House (CH) is searching for Doulas looking to grow professionally in the field of Early Childhood Development. Candidates must possess a specialized interest and passion for working with Infants, Toddlers, and Two-year old’s.
With a mission to develop independent,creative, lifelong learners, our infant, preschool, elementary and family schools build a community of students, teachers, and parents committed to excellence, achievement and perseverance, respect and compassion, and equality of opportunity.
Christopher House partners with parents to provide a continuum of education for students from birth through high school, as well as immersive family supports that help parents create stable, self-sufficient families. We operate accredited early learning, elementary, and out of school time programs grounded in research-based curricula and high-quality instruction.
Children and families thrive when:
- Education begins at birth and continues throughout life, with parents as a child’s first teacher;
- Home environments nurture literacy, achievement, and children’s success;
- Parents have high standards and set high expectations for themselves, their children, and children’s schools;
- Professionally trained teachers know their students as individuals;
- Evaluations and program improvements are data driven;
- Parents and staff work together to continuously evaluate and improve programming;
- Education includes the development of creativity and perseverance and is multi-disciplinary in order to foster each child’s unique strengths and interests;
- Developing independent,creative, life-long researchers, education must include curriculum designed to help scholars develop socially and emotionally as well as cognitively;
- Diversity is celebrated and explored so that learners develop broad perspectives on life and learning;and
- Parents and caregivers support their children financially and emotionally.
- Determine the needs and provide for the development of children ages birth to six years old
- Work to create a safe environment for children and act as a role model for teaching staff
- Promote healthy pregnancies, breast-feeding and healthy parent-infant attachment.
- Establish a trusting relationship with participants and provide prenatal, labor and postpartum support.
- Provide culturally sensitive support and serve as a role model to young mothers.
- Provide birthing support. Link pregnant participants to the health care system and facilitate their use of medical resources.
- Work with other healthcare and support providers to ensure continuity of care.
- Initiate contact with the program participants as early in their pregnancy as possible.
- Maintain prenatal contact with the pregnant participant starting in the third trimester.
- Visit pregnant and parenting participants in their homes and other settings. Organize and facilitate pre-natal group.
- Prepare mothers-to-before the hospital labor and delivery experience and for their new role as parents.
- Attend and support the client through labor and delivery and in the initial postpartum period.
- Visit the mother and baby at home within the first business day after their hospital release.
- Maintain post partum contact for six to twelve weeks as determined; support breast-feeding and infant care.
- Provide emotional and logistical support for the new mother. Make appropriate referrals as client needs require. Maintain program participant confidentiality.
- Meet all reporting and record keeping requirements in compliance with funding agency standards.Maintain equipment used in the position’s responsibilities.
- Attend Doula trainings and meetings provided by the Ounce of Prevention. Attend weekly staff meetings and all required trainings and conferences.
- Remain current with regard to issues related to adolescent parenting, new motherhood, pregnancy,labor, delivery and infant concerns, public policy decisions and availability of local resources.
- Strong alignment with Christopher House’s Values and Mission;
- Strong work ethic coupled with a proactive problem-solving approach;
- Doula training required.Good communication skills and the ability to provide empathy and comfort through words, touch and action. Cultural awareness and sensitivity.
- Organized with regard to multiple tasks and responsibilities. Able to schedule own workload and appointments and work independently with integrity.
- Preferably at least three to five years of experience in working with adolescents and pregnant teens, infants and the pre- to – post natal experience.
- Requires a valid Illinois Driver’s License and insurance, own transportation, and a good driving record. Bilingual English/Spanish preferred.
High School Diploma or GED
Christopher House is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or apply on our website www.christopherhouse.org