Details: The salary is highly competitive in the field and commensurate with experience.
The Brennan Center for Justice at NYU School of Law is a nonpartisan law and policy institute that seeks to improve systems of democracy and justice in the United States. We work to hold our political institutions and laws accountable to the twin American ideals of democracy and equal justice for all. Brennan Center’s work ranges from voting rights to campaign finance reform, from ending mass incarceration to preserving Constitutional protection in the fight against terrorism. Part think tank, part advocacy group, part cutting edge communications hub, we start with rigorous research. We craft innovative policies. And we fight for them – in Congress and the states, the courts, and in the court of public opinion.
The Brennan Center for Justice’s Content & Social Strategy department seeks an experienced managing editor to organize and maintain our workflow across multiple print and digital publications and platforms, including print reports, digital newsletters, an institutional website, marketing newsletters, multimedia products, and social media channels. The managing editor will report to the Director of Editorial Content & Social Strategy, and will be responsible for scheduling, budgets, QA, traffic management, printing and other aspects of content creation.
- Work closely with the VP of Communications/Strategy and Director, Editorial Content and Social Strategy to define and drive initiatives.
- Support Director, Editorial Content and Social Strategy to plan and meet editorial goals.
- Execute day-to-day editorial operations.
- Design and implement workflow processes to govern editorial output.
- Support the complete redesign and content migration of website, including providing expertise on architecture, navigation, SEO optimization and analytics.
- Manage editorial calendar to ensure all publications are produced to high standards and on-time, and to ensure that fresh, timely content that appeals to broad audiences appears on our website regularly.
- Help ideate editorial content.
- Assist Director, Editorial Content and Social Strategy in sourcing and managing editorial staff, including freelancers and interns.
- Work with Digital and Advocacy section on site improvements.
- Liase between Comms and Programs, Development, and outside vendors where necessary.
- Monitor development of print publications, digital content, social media outreach, videos, marketing materials, and other editorial products, including major content rollout as we redesign and rebuild BrennanCenter.org.
- Plan, assign, and track deliverables from staff writers/editors and freelance contributors.
- Schedule and run twice-weekly news huddles and long-term editorial planning sessions.
- Oversee copy editing and fact checking, maintaining high editorial standards and ensuring overall harmony of editorial product with Brennan Center’s mission and policy goals.
- Liaison with Brennan Center’s art department, online production staff, editors, and other key partners within the Communications Division on daily needs and long-term strategy.
- Measure content performance through analytics tools, compiling regular reports.
- Manage departmental budget (w/ direct report to the VP, Communications & Strategy on the budget).
- Assist with content editing and digital/print production as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree or greater.
- At least five years of managing online and print editorial.
- Strong copy editing, traffic management, headline writing, and overall organizational skills. You should be highly organized with a meticulous attention to detail.
- Demonstrated editorial management skills, analytical skills, and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated experience building a website from the ground up, including developing strong architecture and navigation, site migrations, and rebranding strategy.
- Strong understanding of technical side of editorial tasks: familiarity with CMS tools and standards, experience and expertise in SEO and data analytics; experience with InCopy and InDesign; familiarity with social media platforms; ability to identify department’s technical needs and find solutions.
- Highly creative, with excellent, demonstrated editorial skills – writing, editing, creative concepting, and an ability to understand and help implement design priorities.
- Ability to work collaboratively and thrive in a busy and dynamic work environment, juggling multiple projects.
- Excellent news judgment.
- Comfort in a data-driven, analytical environment.
- An understanding of Brennan Center’s mission and goals; democracy and justice or nonprofit experience a plus.
- A strong opinion about the Oxford comma (pro or con, as long as you can back it up).
- Sense of humor and ability to be a calm port in a storm.
Salary: The salary is highly competitive in the field and commensurate with experience. A generous benefits package is available as well.
Applications: Applicants will be interviewed on a rolling basis and decisions will be made as soon as exemplary candidates are identified. Visit https://brennancenter.applytojob.com/apply/kMBj0ZJHSU/Managing-Editor. Please upload the following application materials: cover letter (copy and paste where indicated), resume, and contact information for three references. Also provide URLs for 3-5 projects or publications that you have managed with an explanation of your role in their development; detail any challenges or complications you overcame. No phone calls or faxes. Please reference where you saw this posting.
If you have difficulty with the online system, you may send your application by e-mail to: email@example.com with “Managing Editor” in the subject line, after registering in the online system. Applying through our website is strongly preferred.
The Brennan Center for Justice is committed to a workplace based on equal opportunity and a strong belief in the increased effectiveness that comes from a diverse workforce. To this end, Brennan Center
- Hires staff that reflects this country's full range of racial, ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic identities;
- Creates a workplace where true diversity is fostered and different perspectives are valued and freely exchanged;
- Ensures that all members of the Brennan Center community feel welcome and respected, and have equal opportunities to thrive and advance within the institution; and
- Is committed to supporting low-income communities and communities of color particularly affected by social inequities.
A generous benefits package is available.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Applicants will be interviewed on a rolling basis and decisions will be made as soon as exemplary candidates are identified. Visit https://brennancenter.applytojob.com/apply/kMBj0ZJHSU/Managing-Editor. Please upload the following application materials: cover letter (copy and paste where indicated), resume, and contact information for three references. Also provide URLs for 3-5 projects or publications that you have managed with an explanation of your role in their development; detail any challenges or complications you overcame. No phone calls or faxes. Please reference where you saw this posting.