Training Design & Delivery Specialist
- Job posted by David P. Weikart Center for Youth Program Quality
The David P. Weikart Center for Youth Program Quality, a division of the Forum for Youth
Investment, seeks a Training Design & Delivery Specialist. The Training Specialist, part of the
Weikart Center’s newly organized Design Team, will work out of the Weikart Center’s offices in
Ypsilanti, MI. This position will coordinate the delivery of capacity-building training and technical
assistance to the Weikart Center’s national clients in the youth development field. Key
responsibilities will include: (a) coordinating all aspects of delivery of the Weikart Center’s core
capacity-building training workshops; (b) facilitating ongoing updates to training curricula and
supporting materials; (c) supporting the Weikart Center’s team of Field Consultants and TOT
graduates; and (d) administration.
Organization & Background
Celebrating its 20th anniversary, the Forum for Youth Investment is a national nonprofit, nonpartisan “action tank”
committed to changing the odds that all children and youth are ready for college, work and life. It provides ideas, services and networks that leaders need in order to make more intentional decisions that are good for young people. The Forum helps leaders increase their capacity to more effectively make the case for and manage the collaborative efforts that are needed to change the odds for youth; improve the alignment and appropriateness of child and youth policy agendas and investments; and strengthen programs’ and practitioners’ capacity to create environments in which youth thrive, across all the systems and settings where young people spend time.
In 2008, the Forum created the David P. Weikart Center for Youth Program Quality to build the capacity of public and
private agencies to implement quality improvement and performance systems that simultaneously foster professional learning and whole-child development with the purpose of improving social-sector outcomes. The Weikart Center’s research-based core products and services are currently used in over 4,700 out-of-school time settings nationally and form the basis for quality improvement systems in over 135 publicly and privately funded systems. The Weikart Center empowers education and human service leaders to adapt, implement, and scale best-in-class, research-validated, quality-improvement systems to advance child and youth development.
The Forum is a thriving organization with a budget of over $10 million, a staff of 48 and headquarters in Washington DC. This position is based in Ypsilanti, Michigan, at the headquarters of the Weikart Center. The Center has an annual budget of over $4 million and a staff of 24. While the Forum overall is funded by a mix of foundations and corporations with a growing fee-for service contract base, the Weikart Center’s budget is funded predominantly (80+%) by fee-for-service contracts. For more information, please visit http://www.forumfyi.org/.
Training Design Activities (40%)
Working with the Design Team and staff from the research and field services teams of the Center, support the
rewriting of existing products and the creation of new training curricula, technical assistance, and coaching protocols (e.g., training guidebooks, distance learning content, video-based coaching, Training of Trainers or TOT recertification, etc.):
- Incorporate feedback from field consultants and partners in the field into existing curricula and materials
- Adapt evidence gleaned from the literature, data analyses, and the field for new curricula and supporting materials aligned with strategic directions and projects of the organization
- Observe and/or co-facilitate a selection of Weikart Center training offerings annually
Capacity Building Training Coordination (40%)
Coordinate and support Weikart Center’s capacity-building training products—Youth Worker Methods and Youth
Work Management Training of Trainers (TOT), Coaching for Continuous Improvement (C4CI), Network Lead training,
and External Assessors Reliability Training (EART):
- Schedule and promote training events
- Coordinate venue and hospitality logistics
- Facilitate contracting, invoicing, registration, and billing for capacity building trainings
- Oversee administrative set-up of learning management system used to deliver capacity-building training
- Monitor inboxes and update website and training pages
- Revise and coordinate printing of the most up-to-date EART materials for shipment by field services team
Field Consultant Network and Capacity Building Training Graduate Communication (15%)
Coordinate and facilitate regular communication with Weikart Center’s networks in the field—Field Consultants, TOT
Graduates, and External Assessors:
- Schedule regular communication (e.g., newsletters, conference calls, webinars) from the Forum and Weikart Center to our Field Consultants, Graduates, and External Assessors
- Support the onboarding of new Field Consultants
- Support the annual performance review process of existing Field Consultants, which is conducted by the Senior Manager of Training Design & Delivery
- Coordinate logistics for hosting, support agenda planning, and ensure follow-up to the annual Field Consultant retreat
- Perform other administrative tasks
- Other duties, as assigned
The successful applicant will be a highly motivated, organized and client-focused person with strong knowledge of youth development best practices, direct experience with out-of-school-time professionals, and extensive experience providing and/or managing provision of training and technical assistance in the human service or education fields. Superior communication skills and project management experience are also desired. Initiative, intellectual curiosity, creativity, reliability, flexibility, discretion, thoroughness, accuracy and a commitment to the Weikart Center’s mission are critical. Travel is approximately 10% time (subject to change depending on organizational needs).
A Bachelor’s degree in Education, Social Work, Youth Development, or Public Administration (Master’s degree strongly preferred) and 3-5 years of experience in the out-of-school time (OST) sector as a youth worker, program manager, or trainer/consultant are required. In addition, the successful candidate will:
- Have direct experience with the YPQI services and process, including completion of Youth Work Methods and
- Management TOTs, involvement in team-based self-assessment using the PQA, and improvement planning with PQA data.
- Possess working knowledge of child, adolescent and adult development theory and experience programming for diverse populations and learning styles.
- Have a strong track record of delivering training and technical assistance, including data-driven planning content, to teachers, youth workers, OST program managers and/or related human service audiences.
- Have experience supporting organizational and program improvement efforts in school-day or OST settings.
- Have project management experience, particularly in the area of delivering training and technical assistance to system-level out-of-school time clients.
- Be familiar with and/or implementing adult learning experiences for youth work professionals.
- Be familiar with a variety of technologies, including the advanced features of Outlook, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint, as well as marketing and communication products such as Constant Contact, GoToMeeting, Zoom, ReadyTalk, and social networking applications.
- Exhibit excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Be detail-oriented and have excellent organization skills.
Flexibility is required to adapt to the dynamic work environment of a small non-profit research and consulting organization that has national clients and exposure. The climate is informal but mission-driven. Excellence is valued in every position. The Training Specialist will be based out of the Weikart Center’s Ypsilanti, MI office.
Position & Compensation
The salary range, duties and responsibilities of this position meet the requirements of Section 13 (a) (1) of the Fair Labor Standards Act and therefore qualifies as an "exempt" position.
Medical, Dental, Vision, Disability, FSA, Life, Retirement package, etc.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send resume and cover letter with salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. If your application is selected for an interview, you will be contacted directly. No telephone calls or inquiry emails, please.