Details: Competitive salary, medical & dental benefits
630 Flushing Ave, 8th Floor
Green City Force is seeking a passionate, mission-aligned professional to support the human resource needs of our growing organization. The People Operations Manager will serve as the first line of contact within HR for the organization, reporting to the Director of Operations and Compliance. They are responsible for drafting and implementing policies and procedures, supporting employee learning and development, supporting implementation of disciplinary actions, and submitting payroll and benefits.
The People Operation Manager plays a vital role in supporting a growing organization of 30+ employees an innovative social enterprise that engages up to 50 young graduates of our program at a time. The People Operations Manager will provide expertise and support to both employees and supervisors, explaining proper procedures and guidance to achieve effective outcomes. The scope of the position includes staying apprised of current HR trends and laws to ensure the organization is in compliance with all legislation. This is an opportunity to join an organization with a proven track record, strong growth potential, and a positive organizational culture for personal growth and collective impact as a critical part of a high-energy team.
- Oversee benefits administration and tracking systems; run open enrollment, research and resolve staff benefits issues and deliver exceptional customer service to staff.
- Implement updates and additions to staff benefits plans.
- Manage GCF relationship with, and serve as primary point of contact with, GCF’s co-employer temp agency.
- Liaise between temporary employees and GCF’s co-employer temp agency.
- Ensure that all Green City Force HR/benefits materials and official communications, including its staff handbook and job descriptions, are clear, up-to-date, and accessible, and that staff are aware of and conversant in all relevant HR/benefits policies and procedures.
- Assist with GCF policy and procedure development.
- Lead GCF onboarding and exiting process, personnel file keeping; including drafting offer and exit letters, conduct welcome orientation and training.
- Coordinate logistical points on individualized employee follow-up based on recommendations from managers.
- Consult with managers at all levels to resolve employee performance or disciplinary actions.
- Lead scheduling and proper documentation of employee HR actions and support; serve as primary coordinator and driver of disciplinary and individualized HR actions for temporary employees in GCF’s Social Enterprise.
- Review current policies to flag needs to revise based on GCF’s Social Enterprise temporary employee strategy.
- Create and coordinate onboarding and training templates and resources for Social Enterprise.
- Build and populate employee life cycle tracking tools for Social Enterprise temporary employees.
- Assist with the recruitment process for full-time and part-time staff.
- Support and champion an environment of equity, diversity and empowerment. Ensure fair and equitable application of compensation, HR policies and employee relations processes.
- Provide administrative support to the Director of Operations & Compliance and Managing Director, such as assistance with contract execution.
- Passion for Green City Force’s mission
- PHR or SHRM-CP a plus;
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience in Human Resources, with knowledge of human resources processes and best practices, preferably in a non-profit or setting related to GCF’s mission;
- Ability to act independently with good judgment;
- Motivated self-learner with exceptional organizational and problem-solving skills, and the ability to work independently and collaboratively;
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment;
- Ability to deal with confidential and sensitive situations properly aligned with ethics and GCF protocol;
- Demonstrated ability to work with staff at a variety of levels and to coordinate multiple stakeholders and projects;
- Knowledge of federal and state employment and labor laws and abreast of legal changes affecting HR;
- Experience working with external vendors;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Bachelor’s degree in human resources or related field and/or equivalent experience;
- Excellent computer skills, including Google Suite, HRIS and payroll platforms, and Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Ability to multi-task with strong organizational and time management skills;
- Good self-direction and ability to problem solve and work as a team; and
- Commitment to cultural diversity and equity.
- Personal experience with issues related to Green City Force’s mission: social, environmental and economic justice, service years, sustainability, youth development, public housing and/or low income communities
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
Green City Force (GCF) is an AmeriCorps program that engages young adults from New York City Housing Authority (NYCHA) communities in national service related to the environment. In doing so, we prepare them for sustainable careers, while serving to make public housing communities more sustainable and healthier, creating the green city we want to see. Green City Force’s large-scale service initiatives reach thousands of residents while creating a platform for our members to grow and lead. Through Farms at NYCHA, GCF teams grow and distribute over 20K pounds of organic produce in six public housing communities across the City. Love Where You Live has reached tens of thousands with sustainability education in homes. Since 2016, we have been expanding our social enterprise to create employment pathways for GCF graduates into good jobs in the clean energy sector. GCF’s EmPower team, entirely graduate-staffed and lead, won an excellence award from NYSERDA in 2018 and GCF’s Illuminators are helping to retrofit NYCHA home by home. GCF graduates, who number over 400, are employed in leading companies in the clean energy and urban agriculture sectors. To learn more, please visit http://greencityforce.org/
GCF has garnered awards and recognition at every level, including Most Innovative Nonprofit in NYC. This is an opportunity to join an organization with a proven track record, strong growth potential, and a positive organizational culture for personal growth and collective impact as part of a dynamic team.
People of color, people with disabilities, veterans and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Green City Force is committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities. Green City Force is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its employment decisions, in accordance with state and federal law.
GCF is an Employer of National Service. We recognize the value of skills gained during national service and alumni of national service programs are encouraged to apply.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
TO APPLY: Please email a resume, 3 references and a cover letter, including salary requirements to Jobs@greencityforce.org. Please indicate the position for which you are applying in the subject of your email. No phone calls, please.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. We are looking to fill this position immediately.